RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ya traps work, If you know how to trap...

Better solution is a predator proof place for your birds- coops and cages that birds want to go to at night where you can lock them up, swing a door shut to minimize the predation interest cause once they home in on your birds and are successful you have a problem..

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Predator control = high powered pellet gun + flashlight

you have to guard against aerial attacks and sub terrain underground attacks from burrowing predators (mink,weasels,badgers,foxes, etc) the best way to guard against both is to use narrow gauge wire or cover the top with netting, and then protect the bottom with either concrete or cinder block, or even use a wire mesh below your dirt/sand floor....if the predators do get in, execute them,no mercy (except protected birds of prey)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Do some posting in your local Craigslist or other ads looking for a local trapper. Tell the you keep game birds and have predators around. They'll jump at the chance for an easier set up. Interview them, use the one with years of experience with fox, he will be able to look at your property and do set ups that wont attract your dogs.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I think this bird pen will even keep bears out.
Pretty simple really. Concrete, chain link & water.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
electric mesh fence. The also sell flashing red led lights that are supposed to work pretty good. Lay chicken wire out along ground to prevent digging under fence.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I've had great luck with electric fencing. I have a lot of predators (raccoons, fishers, weasels, coyotes, foxes) and none of them hit the fence more than once.

dawn

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
When you layout corner posts dig a one foot deep trench and bury the chain link to where the bottom curls out from the pen. Sides only need to be as high as chanlink run 2x4 all around top edge, stretch the netting over all sides and staple down with poultry wire staples.
Don't worry about sag just prop it up with a few 10' 2x4.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Off the ground has worked best for me for small numbers (6-12) .I've built 2 that are 3' from the ground with hog/cattle panels on the bottom wrapped in wire .Use a solid top like barn tin ,top predators dont see the game.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I need to keep foxes, badgers and rats from entering the quarter acre pen which is open topped.

A single strand electric wire is run round the bottom including the gateway (the threshold is about a foot off the ground). Wire snares are set at each corner post and I've got a few rat traps set in strategic places. Badgers are a protected species so can't lawfully be killed, but we shoot foxes at night. A reliable small boy with a good air rifle is a blessing too, trimming out any squirrels and magpies. I also have a single barrel 12 bore with a sound moderator that I use on guard patrol.

Don't worry about sag just prop it up with a few 10' 2x4.
Wire that sags outwards a bit is actually more effective than stuff thats drawn very tight; it's much more difficult for climbing foxes to negotiate.
Eug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts