RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 week old chocolate lab has been staying inside. He sleeps in his crate and during the day he mostly stays in the house with my wife on her summer break unless i take him outside on walks in the woods or to do training work, or other various reasons. But the majority of his day is spent inside. I live in middle/south Georgia where it can get pretty hot in the summer. But right now it is only getting in the low 90's. He stayed outside with his brothers and sisters in a run up until we picked him up. THe run was shaded. I noticed a few days after picking him up at 7 weeks when we woudl go outside he didnt like to be out in the sun too much. He would go under the truck or under a shade tree frequently. He doesnt do that now anymore but he doesnt seem to like staying outside. If we go outside to work he will do what we are doign but eventually he will go to the door and want to go in. Have i spoiled him too much by keeping him inside most of the day? My wife is a teacher and is home during the summer and i told her we need to start letting him play outside a little more especially during the morning hours before it gets too hot. Has anybody else had this issue and what should i do?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
He likes to be with YOU!!!
Not outside without humans!!
90 degrees is still really hot for any dog Georgia or NOT.
He can overheat ,become dehydrated (quicker as he is smaller less body mass).
Keep the little guy inside where he can become a team player with you both.
Sue

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm about the same latitude as you are, in South Mississippi, and I agree with your dog! It is not only HOT, but HUMID. We try to keep the house around 78 or 79 degrees and have two dogs that live in the house with us. We had a visitor, GRHRCH Chocolate female visiting us for a little and she got "antsy" in the house, so I took her out and ran a 150 yd blind with her and threw several hand thrown marks for her and when we came in she panted for about an hour.

Take your dog out early in the AM and late in the afternoon, with only short breaks outside when it is so hot. Be sure he has plenty of cool water and if you take him swimming, make sure that the water is not already hot. If he is the dog in your avatar, he is a good looking pup. Take good care of him in this hot weather. Bill

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot for the advice Sue and Bill. It sounds like we need to continue what we are doing. My wife can take him out in the mornings while im at work and when i get home late in the afternoon i can take him out. And yes Bill, that is Trooper in my avatar. I believe he was 8 1/2 weeks then. He had a field day late yesterday afternoon while the wife and I were in the garden picking peas. He seems to really like ripping the peas off the bush :p . I got a few pictures of him i will try and post later. Thank you for the kind words.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Shoot, he's just a little guy still, he's only been with you a couple of weeks. He wants to be with *you*. So if you want him outside more, go out with him. Take your coffee outside in the morning: he can putter around the yard while you drink it. When he goes out midmorning, take a little walk around the garden and let him just follow along. Get him a kiddie pool to play in. Let him play with ice cubes. Turn on the sprinkler. He's too young to deal with high heat and humidity for very long if he's being active, but there's no reason he can't sit outside in the shade with you. Just keep it short and low key.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your 10 week old is acting exactly like my 10 week old black lab male. Its too hot outside for them (at 8:15 am today its already 100 degrees out in the shade!), in AZ the stores sell outdoor thermometers that go up to 150 degrees as the normal ones (like from back East) only goto 120 degrees & yes, back East ones break when they goto 120 degrees.

We have an inground pool, a kiddie pool, change the kiddie pool water everyday with cool water, put ice cubes in it too, but its still really hot, & really with all that, can still only be outside in the shade for about 10 minutes.

Thats why I joined an air conditioned indoor puppy class just to get out of the house.

·
Registered
59 Posts
He's 10 weeks old, I wouldn't worry about it. Inside the house is his safe spot. My black dog hates the heat, and doesn't stay out in it very long either. But when those bumpers come out, he's a completely different dog.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Besides him being a puppy and the heat, Ive found that some dogs just dont like being outside as much as others. The pup in my Avatar is now almost 5 and she'd rather be inside then out, unless it's training, hunting, hiking or hanging out with the kids. She's happy laying on the kitchen floor as she is in the yard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts