RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on FF picking up off the ground. He picks up the wooden dumbbell right in then middle. When I switch to plastic/rubber dummy he wants to pick it up towards the end. Looks Like I may have to take a step back and fetch from hand to make sure he grabs in middle?

Advise appreciated.

Kevin

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you switched training dummies start with what the dog knows.

Begin fetch from in front of him all the way back down to the ground. Make him successful!

Once introducing to the ground angle the bumper slowly down in increments where he's finally able to pick the bumper off the ground. You'll probably notice he'll grab it right by your hand as your doing this. What I do is if he's fetching and continously grabbing toward the end I'll slide bumper to the middle and cuff under chin with a "hold" command. But typically as I am transitioning to the ground I go in small increments to get my hand out of the "picture." Before you realize it he's hitting the bumper in the middle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.