RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup who is now 17 weeks returns to me with the paint roller / puppy dummy held on the very end or side. He doesn't carry it in the middle.

Is this something to be worried about? I know in Smartworks it says to have them carry it in the middle.

How do I correct that issue? or will that be worked out a FF?

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
My pup who is now 17 weeks returns to me with the paint roller / puppy dummy held on the very end or side. He doesn't carry it in the middle.

Is this something to be worried about? I know in Smartworks it says to have them carry it in the middle.

17 weeks, does your pup have adult teeth? FF will clear this up if done correctly, but if you are not to FF yet you can place the bumper in the dogs mouth correctly every time it returns to you. No necessary though as hold will correct the problem

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
17 weeks, does your pup have adult teeth? FF will clear this up if done correctly, but if you are not to FF yet you can place the bumper in the dogs mouth correctly every time it returns to you. No necessary though as hold will correct the problem
That is sort of what I was thinking. No, he doesn't have all of this teeth. So, I will just correct the placement when he brings it back! THANKS!

·
Registered
5,248 Posts

You're right in that Smartwork does teach you to cultivate a centered grip on fetch objects. But it doesn't imply dealing with it at this young age. It will be worked out during FF, and that's a while off yet. Don't worry about it right now. Fundamental obedience commands & tasks are more important. That and more retrieving. Are you using real birds for marks?

Evan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right in that Smartwork does teach you to cultivate a centered grip on fetch objects. But it doesn't imply dealing with it at this young age. It will be worked out during FF, and that's a while off yet. Don't worry about it right now. Fundamental obedience commands & tasks are more important. That and more retrieving. Are you using real birds for marks?

Evan
Evan,

Thanks for the response! I am working about once a week with real birds (frozen or thawed) for marks. But most of the week I use paint rollers. Also, one or two other days I use a puppy dummy (from Real Duck) with duck wings tapped to it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Question for you more experienced folks out there.

My dog was FFd by a good pro, and he is still prone to lapse into cigaring and not necessarily holding the bumper in the center. Sometimes he absolutely will, and sometimes he won't. It sounds crazy, but it also appears to me that he has some issue with having the throw rope in his mouth that throws him off.

In fact, I pinched his ear a couple times this AM as we were getting in a short session of pile work to get him to grab the bumper. He absolutely does not do this with birds. He will also occasionally try to get two bumpers, and he is a bit of a shopper, especially on the first send.

How long do you struggle with it before you say "It is what it is?" I struggled with it on FTP so long that I realized it was becoming counterproductive. He is a hard-charger and runs by the pile, picking them up on the way back.

As always, I have given a general description, sight unseen, so I expect general answers to maybe point me in the right direction. We are using TRT as our program.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
cigaring and not necessarily holding the bumper in the center........

....... He absolutely does not do this with birds......

......How long do you struggle with it before you say "It is what it is?" .
If he cigars birds are you going to post pictures?

I've given up trying to make my dogs not cigar bumpers. I'll re position them in the dog's mouth and during ff I'll present the bumpers so it's easiest to grab them in the middle. But, I'm not correcting or nagging dogs for cigaring bumpers. I figure this isn't something that matters with birds and how the dog carries a bumper doesn't matter to me. If they want to pretend to be Groucho, OK, just don't drop it.

Many people here, including Evan, will disagree with me. To each their own.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I agree with everything Howard says

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I've read some articles recently that relate to this topic;

Carol from New Hope Retrievers; LINK
Sharon has Ralph trying to correct Scout’s sloppy mouth habits with bumpers. We had let him get away with cigaring the dummies and even tossing them around because he is always so good with birds. But as Sharon pointed out, allowing this type of infraction just means that you are handing over some of the authority to the dog. The dog should not really get a vote in what goes on. Ralph was having some success by stopping Scout on the return and walking out to him and physically correcting the hold before calling him the rest of the way in.
&

Kicking the Cigaring Habit LINK

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I'm with Howard. I generally have more significant issues to worry with.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm with Howard. I generally have more significant issues to worry with.
Thanks Wayne, Howard, and Bridget. I feel much better about making that executive decision that it did not matter enough to keep hassling him about it.

Howard, I will absolutely post pictures if I can get him to cigar a bird.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If he cigars birds are you going to post pictures?

I've given up trying to make my dogs not cigar bumpers. I'll re position them in the dog's mouth and during ff I'll present the bumpers so it's easiest to grab them in the middle. But, I'm not correcting or nagging dogs for cigaring bumpers. I figure this isn't something that matters with birds and how the dog carries a bumper doesn't matter to me. If they want to pretend to be Groucho, OK, just don't drop it.

Many people here, including Evan, will disagree with me. To each their own.
I agree with you.

Regards
JT

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Just for claification though , if he has a sloppy, LOOSE, hold and the bumper is dangling out of his mouth I will bump it out of his mouth and tell him fetch nick fetch (AFTER CC) AND if he drops it out in the field because of loose holds it will be fetch nick fetch. So you do have to maintain a level of "Fetch" (I don't use "hold")

·
Registered
4,805 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Just for claification though , if he has a sloppy, LOOSE, hold and the bumper is dangling out of his mouth I will bump it out of his mouth and tell him fetch nick fetch (AFTER CC) AND if he drops it out in the field because of loose holds it will be fetch nick fetch. So you do have to maintain a level of "Fetch" (I don't use "hold")
Absolutely agree. He does actually hold the bumper, just not in the middle.

This may be God's way of teaching me patience.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts