RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never saw before this weekend. I meet with friend to do a little work on some equiptment we both brought our dogs. Mine is 14 month old male and his dog is about 10 year old male. It started from the time we meet up to load my dog in his truck my pup acted like he was scared and then once in the back of the truck he growled at his dog. Once we got there my dog was fine with my buddy and then we let his dog out they got a long great then about 5 min after they had been out together my dog bit his dog on the ear didnt bring any blood but this will not be tollerated frome me. What can I do to make sure this does not happen at a test. I have had him around people from day one and several other dogs. I take him all over town with me and in to any store that allows him in.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
It started from the time we meet up to load my dog in his truck my pup acted like he was scared and then once in the back of the truck he growled at his dog. Once we got there my dog was fine with my buddy and then we let his dog out they got a long great then about 5 min after they had been out together my dog bit his dog on the ear didnt bring any blood but this will not be tollerated frome me.
My guess is they were not "fine" you just couldn't read the signs. This also does not sound like the best introduction practice I have ever heard of.... I never let my dog just run around with other dogs. If there are other dogs around YOU need to be in control of your dog. Your dog should not have the freedom of making decisions like he did.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Agree 100 percent with what Gavin said. At 14 mos. your dog should already have been well socialized around other dogs. Training should not include dogs playing, either before, during or after, you are there for training not doggy tub thumping. No reason for them to be loose together unless one is honoring the other. You did not say, but I hope when they were together in the back of the truck each dog was in his own crate.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agree 100 percent with what Gavin said. At 14 mos. your dog should already have been well socialized around other dogs. Training should not include dogs playing, either before, during or after, you are there for training not doggy tub thumping. No reason for them to be loose together unless one is honoring the other. You did not say, but I hope when they were together in the back of the truck each dog was in his own crate.
I agree with both of you 100% I am at fault for letting him run around on his own.And yes I always keep him in a crate in the back of the truck. The main part I am worried about is when I got him out of my truck he was on lead and still acted agressive toward my friend and his dog as I was loading him up. It may just be he is a die-hard Razorback fan and did not like the purple and yellow shirt he was wearing :D

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Some dogs just don't get along, bottom line. It's the I'm in charge issue.
I would keep those two seperated from now on.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Delancey,
Let me guess.... Your dog is intact (not neutered).

I have a few questions.

Is this the first time you and your dog have been out with your friend and his dog?

You transported the dogs in your truck? Both dogs were in their seperate crates?

Do you normally transport your dog in the crate in the back of your truck or let him ride inside your truck?

Fear in a dog can bring out different behaviors you may not have seen before.

I think you need to spend more time with your dog around other dogs on leash and correct him if he growls or shows aggression towards other dogs. Dogs need to spend time smelling each other. Same with smelling people they meet too It's how they communicate. This should be done on lead so you have control.

He is young and with proper socialization training he should be much better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Delancey,
Let me guess.... Your dog is intact (not neutered). Yes he is intacted

I have a few questions.

Is this the first time you and your dog have been out with your friend and his dog? Yes first time

You transported the dogs in your truck? Both dogs were in their seperate crates? Yes each had their own box

Do you normally transport your dog in the crate in the back of your truck or let him ride inside your truck? He always rides in the crate

Fear in a dog can bring out different behaviors you may not have seen before.

I think you need to spend more time with your dog around other dogs on leash and correct him if he growls or shows aggression towards other dogs. Dogs need to spend time smelling each other. Same with smelling people they meet too It's how they communicate. This should be done on lead so you have control.

He is young and with proper socialization training he should be much better.
When you say correct him do I need to keep his ecollar on when we are meeting new people and give him a nick when he acts up or just a quick snap with a pinch collar??

·
Registered
530 Posts
Neither, an e-collar is more likely to make things worse. Grab him by his scruff and his ear and give him what for. I will also ad that when these things happen there is body language between BOTH dogs that precedes it and BOTH dogs need to be corrected.

Bert

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I run a dog boarding and dog daycare facility and have the task of introducing dogs to each other several times a day.

Sounded like you were loading up into your buddy's truck and his dog was in there. You said your dog was a little nervous. If I'm reading the scenario right, I'll bet your buddy's dog was giving signs to your dog about territory. Your dog read him right and didn't want to be rude and invade his truck or his owner's space. At that point, the best thing is to bring both dogs out of the truck and onto neutral territory.

What happened later with the ear bite was a likely a result of the bad introduction. If no blood was drawn, don't make a big deal of it, they were just communicating with each other. It's likely the other dog was sending your dog overly dominant messages that caused your dog to stand up for himself. 14 months is also a sketchy age for hormones. He is a 15 to 17 year-old boy right now trying to figure out his place in the world. Don't worry about too much, just keep a closer eye and listen when he tells you he's nervous. Trying to punish it, doesn't work - only proper introductions and prevention work. Trust me, i've tried it all!!!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Watch what you do with leash control/corrections in this situation. There is a good chance that you will make the behavior worse. I learned this one from experience.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good God. Little over the top, don't you think?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts