RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

You get a new pup at 7-8 weeks. Where does the pup sleep at night?

• Always in the crate. You must crate train ASAP.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In the bed with me, crate training for short times during the day.

• In the crate for 6 months to a year or more, then it has earned the right to sleep in the bed.

• In a kennel run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been several discussions here about dogs sleeping in bed with their owners. This question is in regard to puppies.

·
Registered
84 Posts
any pup I get sleeps in a crate till I am good and sure they are fully housetrained and wont have an accident if left out overnight then they are welcome to sleep in bed with us.

Jana

·
Registered
423 Posts
crate

For me, a crate makes everthing easier, particularly house breaking. When not supervised as a pup, into the crate - PERIOD. I have a 5 yr. old dawg that has NEVER taken a dump in the house. Had a couple of wet spots, but not over a couple. The only damage to property happened when my wife left her unattended and she chewed up one of my son's soccer cleats. ($120) :cry:

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I get pups at 7 or 8 weeks of age, I generally allow them to sleep in bed with me at night assuming they settle down and go to sleep ( if they do not settle down, then they go immediately to a crate). During the day they gradually become accustomed to the crate after being placed in it for short periods of time that I slowly lengthen. After a week or two, they are generally much more comfortable in the crate and at that time they will then move from the bed to the crate.

I have done this for dozens of puppies and I am happy with the results. Course I am a sucker for puppy breath and puppy snuggles.

My adult dogs do sleep on the bed ( if they choose). My Goldens tend to be able to sleep loose at at younger age then the labs.

Teri

·
Registered
173 Posts
Pups

They at least sleep in the bed (if they are not wiggling around all night) for the first week or so. I think that it helps with the bonding process. After that, they get transistioned over to the crate, but still on occasions are allowed to sleep in the bed. My gundog and HT/gundog usually sleep in the bed.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Teri said:
When I get pups at 7 or 8 weeks of age, I generally allow them to sleep in bed with me at night assuming they settle down and go to sleep ( if they do not settle down, then they go immediately to a crate). During the day they gradually become accustomed to the crate after being placed in it for short periods of time that I slowly lengthen. After a week or two, they are generally much more comfortable in the crate and at that time they will then move from the bed to the crate.

I have done this for dozens of puppies and I am happy with the results. Course I am a sucker for puppy breath and puppy snuggle.

Teri
That is what I do. The minute the pup stirs in the night, I can take them out for a quick potty then it's right back to sleep. Plus, I too am a sucker for the puppy snuggles.
Mine have always been good about learning the routine except one who decided at 6 months of age that 4 am was a good time to wake up. She was put in a crate to sleep and doesn't make a peep until she is let out at 5:30am. The rest of my crew is in bed with us or one of the kids.

After reading a post on another board, I wondered if I was the lone ranger in letting a pup sleep in the bed. It appears we are certainly in the minority.

G

·
Teri said:

I have done this for dozens of puppies and I am happy with the results. Course I am a sucker for puppy breath and puppy snuggles.

My adult dogs do sleep on the bed ( if they choose). My Goldens tend to be able to sleep loose at at younger age then the labs.

Teri
Ditto. As long as they actually SLEEP in the bed (and not potty or constantly try to get down), they can sleep in the bed.

IF you wear them out during the day, many 7-8 week old pups can actually almost sleep through the night. That's the key to doing it. They're tired and comfortable and they sleep hard. They bond with you and, fortunately, don't interrupt your sleep. If they sleep with you like most normally do, they're right up against you (most of mine have been the crook of my neck or on my head on the pillow). So when they DO move, you feel it and run out the door to potty and then back to bed.

-K

·
Registered
414 Posts
I let them sleep in bed with us the first night. After that they sleep in the crate but I put whatever t-shirt I wore that day in with them, I think the smell helps them calm down. I generally stay up a little later for the first couple weeks so the pup is going in the crate at about 12:30, then gets let out at 6 AM when I get up. I also don't let the pup drink water late at night so they will be empty when they go in the crate for the night.

They sleep in the crate every night until they are about a year old, then they can sleep with us every once in a while, but I find they like the routine of the crate better. They just seem to do better in everything when they are in the crate most nights.

DH

·
Registered
987 Posts
Like Bobby of Ragin'StormRetrievers, my pup slept with me the first night home -- helped with bonding -- also helped me know when he needed out -- I could hear/sense when he needed out (and no, not because he had accident) -- now when he's home from pro, he's allowed to sleep on bed still (although girlfriend might object to that at this point since he's so big and she's never had to share with him before -- then again I might be on the floor or in the "doghouse" and Maxx on bed)

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
In the crate they go, but with one of my pillows. I myself toss and turn too much and a puppy might not survive the night :shock: so figured it is safer - now for an afternoon nap, they snuggle.....

FOM

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well as usual it appears I'm in the minority. I love them but they have their own big house.

·
Registered
241 Posts
JLK Goldens said:
any pup I get sleeps in a crate till I am good and sure they are fully housetrained and wont have an accident if left out overnight then they are welcome to sleep in bed with us.

Jana
I don't believe a child should be allowed to sleep in the bed with its parents.
My dogs are crate trained, then sleep a dog pillow as they grow older.

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
Theres not a choice for my way. Because of the super long travel day spent in getting pup home, he was a sleepy camper when he arrived. So he conked out in his crate right away, and we easily established a potty sched. He kept to the crate for lights out for about 3 months, (not 6 the closest on the poll) then moved into the bed. Never, ever pooped in house, did get to excited about playing a time or two to realize he had to pee. Now he sleeps around :lol: :lol: Sometimes burrowing under the covers to the foot of the bed, (until I worry he will snuff out) sometimes on his own bed, sometimes in the shower :shock:
BTW, someone mentioned inside dogs not getting good coats, if anything, my "house dog" has too much coat. Must luxuriant I have ever seen on a lab, maybe even a conformation fault as he has a few "feathers" on his back legs and tail!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
All the puppies here spent thier first night or two in a box next to the bed.You can hang an arm down and calm them when they get restless.Then into the crate after a night or two.Dogs aren't allowed in bed.I made that mistake when I was owned by two Malamutes and a Lab at the same time. The dog(s) get a dog bed.After they can be trusted to run free at night they usually just crash in thier own bed anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts