RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Puppy is almost 10 weeks... We've got him on a pretty good schedule and housebreaking is coming along well... As of right now on our schedule he is never crated for more than 3-4 hours, even at night... He's a pretty activ an high energy puppy so I'm wondering how much time he should spend in the crate each day... Typically if we're home and awake he is out of the crate... I've had some trainers tell me that we should crate him more than that and he should only come out for intentional times of training/exercise and meals/bathroom... What are y'alls thoughts?? If it is only for intentional times, how much time should he spend out of the crate every day?

·
Registered
340 Posts
My own personal rule is that if a pup is out of the crate, eyes have to be on him/her. If I or someone in my family cannot focus on the pup while it is out of the crate, it goes back in to the crate. I also believe that a young pup is in fact learning ever minute it is out of the crate and interacting with the family. I feel that this time is invaluable from a learning/socialization standpoint - so keep the pup out of the crate and with the family as much as you can!

I have seen posts here where those seeking help on lack-of-focus issues with their young dogs are encouraged to crate/kennel their dogs so that they are more focussed during training sessions. But, at 10 weeks, that doesn't sound like the advice you're seeking.

Here's a link to a crate training article on the main page: A Secure, Confident Gundog With Options - Kennel Training

·
Registered
40 Posts
My pup sleeps all night, and will not soil its kennel, but you better have a eye on her when she is out. Even if you take her out every 15 min. She is getting better, and will goto the door for #2.

I keep her in the crate as little as i can. The more she see's the more she learns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts