RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for something better than shredded newspaper to have puppies on. I have heard of people using Pine bedding like from horse stalls. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
To whelp on or later when the puppies are ready to be litter trained?

Angie

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After they have been whelped and they are pushing the 2 to 3 week mark.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use a couple of sets of old bathroom carpets that fit nicely in the whelping box. I have extra sets to change out when washing. Once the real food hits, I found newspaper is the best.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a real hard time getting enough newspapers. The paper has gotten so small and most people dont get it anymore.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Here's what I use. It's industrial absorbent matting that lies flat. It acts like a big ole diaper and keeps the box very clean. The puppy's and mom can't tear it up or get twisted in it. It's not cheap but for me anything else is messier, and down right dangerous. The whole blanket thing scares me.

http://www.newpig.com/us/pig-174-absorbent-mat-roll/MAT230?cm_cat=item_number_search&krypto=WOqFvu9yIpBu%2Bg438Yj9T8cii9ZGCGfdDukGJ9FjZXtm%2FaQLwZQtJTBB893VauyeEIBfu%2BdWCbWo%0Ai4rMirHJXNDDpb8VjaHmWEdTG%2BKqtmnpaWJ%2BehiclMxYa9%2BFgSMY5fYyxSFyTVBgGlWC57sfO%2FxF%0Ad9399o1YvxpMzeJbkPCX%2BmJfuWp2cRFn5DdRxF%2BhhtDVV3ugZFaQWy4warmQrpUM6DL8ny9N

Angie

·
Registered
446 Posts
I went to the local newspaper and asked for the "end rolls" -- it's the plain paper that newspapers are eventually printed on. It's fairly cheap. I would layer regular newspaper (with the print) on the bottom... the paper from the end rolls on top and then a few towels. Worked great. Good luck!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I use bath mats also and newspaper under that in whelping box. When they get out of their box and old enough to escape it that is I put mats in a large kennel in kitchen with a newspaper area for them to do their
r business. Kitchen floor is only lenolium floor I have so easy clean up.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had some recommend to use pine bedding. What do you all think?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I will use pine bedding after weaning. Up until then to many fine pieces that can potentially cause mastitis and too much dust for pups to breathe.
I also only put it in one section of the pen kind of like litter box training.

·
Registered
244 Posts
To get newspapers, go to where you have the large recycling containers and you can get as much free newspaper as you could ever want.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
We use pine shavings that have not been treated by anything. Do not use cedar shavings that are coated with oils.

For whelping box bedding, I buy twin size comforters at the thrift store for $3 - $5. I have 5 comforters so the washing machine and dryer are going all of the time when we have puppies. Helen

·
Registered
234 Posts
for the first 3 or 4 weeks I like old towels or blankets, constantly changing them and washing, making sure they are flat. My whelping box rail helps to hold them down flat. Constantly replacing soiled with clean, and washing (or throwing aways the nastiest ones).

Once pups start to switch from mom's milk to kibble...
I use a mix of pine shavings, cedar shavings, and shredded paper from a paper shredder (Thanks for that tip Bill!). about 1/3 of each. I clean it out once or twice a day with all new. I also pick the crap out when I can.

I buy the pine and cedar shavings at meijer in the pet supplies, made for pets.

This reminds me, time to start saving the junk mail from the paper shredder ! I hope to have some pups crapping on it in a few months...

Go Ember and pups ! :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Blankets / towels so long as mom is cleaning up (changed daily at least). Pine I like when they are a bit older but I remove pups from that area to feed them as I worry about them ingesting too much pine shavings (since they are little slobs and walk thru the food!). Mine are normally transitioned outside by age 5 weeks, with a big doghouse on the deck and a step down to the grass - all fenced for just the pups. After the first day deck and bed stays very clean and all clean-up is on grass which can be hosed down often and the pups are half housebroken when they leave! I bring them indoors in the evening for play periods - but they really love their outdoor pen.
Diane

·
Registered
234 Posts
Blankets / towels so long as mom is cleaning up (changed daily at least). Pine I like when they are a bit older but I remove pups from that area to feed them as I worry about them ingesting too much pine shavings (since they are little slobs and walk thru the food!). Mine are normally transitioned outside by age 5 weeks, with a big doghouse on the deck and a step down to the grass - all fenced for just the pups. After the first day deck and bed stays very clean and all clean-up is on grass which can be hosed down often and the pups are half housebroken when they leave! I bring them indoors in the evening for play periods - but they really love their outdoor pen.
Diane

That's a great tip. I like to setup food bowl out back on the patio with fenced in backyard when possible. Let them eat, crap, and explore outside !

some pics of my whelping box bedding with some Rigby X Hatty pups :D

Pup safety rail is removed at his point, below. Here there is pine and cedar pet chips settled to the bottom, fluffy shredded paper rises to the top. Crap sticks to it and helps keep things clean and easy clean up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The first couple of week I use thrift store blankets, I like flannel sheets best. Most thrift stores have $1 dog blankets and I buy a few, swap'em out every day. by 3 weeks, they are on newspaper in layers. Around a month and on it's bagged softwood shavings from TSC, and feeding outside the box. I sadly have to say I killed half a litter of pups by accident yrs ago by putting them on shavings when they were to little and the dust killed them.....

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I went to the local newspaper and asked for the "end rolls" -- it's the plain paper that newspapers are eventually printed on. It's fairly cheap. I would layer regular newspaper (with the print) on the bottom... the paper from the end rolls on top and then a few towels. Worked great. Good luck!
I used the printed newspapers to line the box and pen. Then I used those nice, clean roll ends for the top layers. I took a single edge razor blade and cut lengthways to shredd those rolls. Sometimes we used the paper shredder on strips of paper cut from that roll. There were times when the newspaper office had lots of free shredded paper that they were throwing away.

·
Registered
9,030 Posts
Until pups eyes open, I keep layers of newspaper under towels; the towels being replaced with cleans ones as frequently as needed. At least daily. Mom keeps things pretty clean when the pups are this young.

As soon as pups are on their feet, I put a "litter box" in the whelping box. Use pine shavings that come from the local feed mill that are labeled "horse bedding". They are dustier than the shavings I used to get at the pet store, so more absorbent.

As pups leave the lunch bar, I pick them up and stand them in the litterbox. Takes only a day or two before pups have figured it out. I put some newspaper or towels around the base of the litterbox ... as they don't always aim well. This works WAY better than letting them do their messing on newspapers.

For the litterbox, I use a plastic under-bed storage box. Easy to find in stores like Target, Walmart, etc. (my whelping box is 4'X4').

I feed pups in individual dishes; usually groups of 3. Keeps them cleaner & also assures that everybody gets their fair share.

Like Helen, I buy towels and blankets at the thrift shop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts