RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 month old black lab is having trouble getting used to the leash (And collar as well). I've tried treat based rewards, but the problem is as soon as she sees it, she'll bite down on it and won't let go. And as soon as it's out of her mouth, she goes into the puppy crazies. I tell her no, but she'll start biting me and my clothes and begin to run around, trying to get the leash back. She thinks it's a game, but distraction with another toy means nothing to her. It's only with the leash and collar I have this issue. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Sounds like devil child to me,,,,,,,,,,,, or maybe a puppy just being a puppy. 8 weeks is pretty young to expect much stellar obedience.
Don

·
Registered
380 Posts
I start only introducing the collar and just simply put it on them. They get use to it pretty quickly. The leash I start with a 2-4 ft. lead (depending on dog) and simply let them drag it around the house. Pretty soon it will loose its allure! Obviously buy cheap nylon leashes keeping an eye on them so they don't ingest it. You also don't want them eliminating on it.

Your puppy is simply being a puppy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I start only introducing the collar and just simply put it on them. They get use to it pretty quickly. The leash I start with a 2-4 ft. lead (depending on dog) and simply let them drag it around the house. Pretty soon it will loose its allure! Obviously buy cheap nylon leashes keeping an eye on them so they don't ingest it. You also don't want them eliminating on it.

Your puppy is simply being a puppy.
Solid plan, she eats everything so I'm always wary. Do you think it would be alright to spray bitter apple spray on the leash?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Chris,

The mouth is the working end of a retriever. It's unreasonable to expect a young puppy to ignore the leash and collar you attached to her neck. I'd be worried if she did. Every puppy I ever started with leash training wanted to carry the leash as we walked. They all got over it too.

Patience. Baby steps with a baby puppy!

Swack

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Where are you located in NY? It might help you to get with a pro for an hr or so.....

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I would find a retriever pro if you can.They can give you lessons to work on for the future of your retriever. The classes at petsmart /or positive only trainers , MIGHT not be effective for your issues , nor have any clue about what a retriever might need in the future

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
My 16 week old Chessie is just starting to not carry the check cord in his mouth or bite the leash. What did I do? nothing...

I have had to put a 12" length of sash chain from the dog's collar to the end of the leash. You can use a small choke chain and a couple of clips or small carabiners for this if you have to but at 8 weeks? nah.. it is what it is. Be happy she's energetic.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Do yourself and the pup a huge favor. Purchase a puppy training dvd. There are some good ones out there. Hillman Puppy would be a good one to get. Look at the left side of the banner at the top.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
No doubt. We're actually going to start some puppy socialization classes soon, that should help
Chris, at 8 weeks old I think I would get a few more shots under that pups belt before exposing your pup to other strange dogs and where other strange dogs have been.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My pup did bit the leash as well. I would put her leash on then go out in the yard and play fetch. She quickly forgot about the leash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris, at 8 weeks old I think I would get a few more shots under that pups belt before exposing your pup to other strange dogs and where other strange dogs have been.
What they told us initially at the shelter was she was 8 weeks, then after reviewing her paperwork yesterday we found she's actually 12 weeks. Thought she was a little big.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts