RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
My pup is 13 weeks old, and has been wearing a collar his whole time with me. He drags a lead around outside and inside, and doesnt mind being lead on a leash/lead for walks, etc. He squirms a bit, but we encourage with treats.
Problem I find is that he seems to hate having anyone hold his collar, and squirms like crazy if you try to hold him with it. We dont drag him around at all, and dont fight with him, but I'm not sure how to cure this problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
423 Posts
collar

I'd hold his collar and give him a kibble of food. Meal time might be a good time to do it. If you have the time, you could give him his whole meal this way if you're feeding him kibbles. The more you do it with positive results for the pup the sooner he'll accept it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Grab the collar and hang on. You might as well teach him now that you're the boss and not him. Be careful not to choke him. Just hang on and let him squirm as much as he wants. If he nips you, tell him NO and pinch his nose. Pup has to learn he does what YOU want, not what HE wants.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think the pup is a little young yet to be "showing it who is boss". Just like anything else in training at this stage, make a game out of it. Play with it outside and grab on to the collar. Move your way down to the lead. It all takes time at this stage of the game. Don't worry about it, it will all come together soon! Make sure to keep it fun!!!

Just my $.02

·
Registered
277 Posts
So how do you break the dog of wanting to hold onto the leash. When we go outside, my dogs still want to hold onto it, and they prance around with it in their mouth like a horse until I call them to heel and take the lead, but alot of times, when the younger one is working outside with a short one dangling down, she just wants to grab onto it before she runs to fetch the bumper....

·
Registered
187 Posts
The answer for that needs one question asked first. How old of a dog are we talking about? This could have many levels of correction.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The answer for that needs one question asked first. How old of a dog are we talking about? This could have many levels of correction.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Debbie H said:
So how do you break the dog of wanting to hold onto the leash. When we go outside, my dogs still want to hold onto it, and they prance around with it in their mouth like a horse until I call them to heel and take the lead, but alot of times, when the younger one is working outside with a short one dangling down, she just wants to grab onto it before she runs to fetch the bumper....
Teach a "leave it" or "off" command. Works on 8 week old puppies.

Angie

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Re: collar

larrynogaj said:
I'd hold his collar and give him a kibble of food. Meal time might be a good time to do it. If you have the time, you could give him his whole meal this way if you're feeding him kibbles. The more you do it with positive results for the pup the sooner he'll accept it.
That's right.

Grab the collar give a treat. Grab the collar give praise. Grab the collar when scratching him.

One of these days you will have to lunge for his collar. You don't want him shy of you grabbing it.

Angie

·
Registered
277 Posts
The youngest is 14 months and the older one is 4 yrs. If that cord is dangling, the youngest wants to carry it. The older one only does that when I am letting them out before we go for a walk. Once I get the door shut to the house and gather them up, they give the leads back to me, but they still need to hold onto it for that brief little bit.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi Angie. When I tell them to give me the lead they do, but until I ask for it, they gently hold it in their mouth. Or Pyper will grab onto Riley's lead and run him around the yard until I am ready to go. I tell her to bring riley here and she does... When they were younger, and insisted on carrying part of the leash, I would give it a gentle tug and tell them to give or leave it. Its like they forget that the next walk though, cause they do it again. Riley doesn't do that to often any more. And with Pyper, she will "leave it" as she is going for a bumper, but sometimes, that little dangly rope is enough to distract her for a little second and she wants to carry it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Debbie H said:
The youngest is 14 months and the older one is 4 yrs. If that cord is dangling, the youngest wants to carry it. The older one only does that when I am letting them out before we go for a walk. Once I get the door shut to the house and gather them up, they give the leads back to me, but they still need to hold onto it for that brief little bit.

There are many ways to help this problem. Some of the time verbal corrections do not help. Most of the corrections you will use has alot to do with the stage of training you are in. The one fall back for this problem can be make the short lead distasteful with a product called bitter apple or bitter orange...or even some type of hot sauce. This way the pup corrects itself with the behavior and you don't hurt attitude.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate the responses....I agree that I think he's a bit young to be bossing him around and being too firm wtih him to show him who's boss. He knows that I'm the boss so far, and right now he knows that I am the provider of food and drink.... :D

Played with him a bit last night and put the collar on and off, all the time, praising with treats and allowing him to play a bit. Held him a little to calm him down and pet him a bit while I held his collar. Seemed to calm down if i was doing that, so things are going well so far.

He's kinda a dog that wants to be in control a bit, but doesnt take long to turn him into a soft dog....so far so good....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts