RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 13 week old blf. When I am home, its as you would expect for a young puppy with very few accidents in the house if I am monitoring her. What I am having trouble with is her using the bathroom in her crate (probably at least every other day). Obviously, I somewhat expect it over night (go to bed for 11, up at 5 = 6 hours), but I have had times where I have let her out, put her in a crate during a 20 minute trip to the store, and her still have an accident in the kennel. She currently has a puppy/small plastic crate which she has pretty much outgrown (needing to duck her head to fit). I recently bought her an intermediate plastic crate. I have kept her at times in my older dogs large plastic crate. No amount of restriction or extra space seems to affect it.

Just a few things:
I always make sure to take her out before I put her up.
She maintains a positive attitude about the crate. Will kennel upon command.
Accidents are not limited to only urinating.

My question is what could possibly be causing it? Has anyone ever had a similar experience? My first thought is a UTI, but that wouldn't explain all of it. Second thought was possibly not cleaning the kennel out well enough to get rid of the scent.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
At 13 weeks she should be able to hold it all night. Is she giving you any signal that she has to go? Barking or whining?

1. Check for urinary tract infection and while at the vet have him check her vulva - an inverted vulva seems to have more problems.

2. Does it seem to be excited or submission pee? Does she do it in front of you or is it when she is alone? The problem will go away as you ignore the excited or submissive behavior.

3. Is there any bedding in the crate? I recommend no bedding until almost a year. Bedding can encourage peeing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
behavior.

3. Is there any bedding in the crate? I recommend no bedding until almost a year. Bedding can encourage peeing.
I had the other thread but this hits home. When we first got her we had bedding. I think she could get away with peeing and not feel it.

Not sure if this is how our problem started.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had a pup in my last litter do this too! very frustrating! No warning bark, or whining, no UTI, no clue,

·
Registered
478 Posts
Keeping the crate pretty tight for the pup's size and using no bedding really helped with one I had a problem with. He did not like actually getting wet from his pee since he could not avoid a large pee puddle in his crate. It took a week or two of intermittent accidents at night in the crate to resolve the issue. But, never had a pooping problem.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I find that puppies are different. Some will never soil their crates and others don't seem to mind at all. At 13 weeks, just make sure you have her on a reliable schedule for going outside and keep to it and make it positive. She will get there. Be patient. I sometimes think of late that people expect too much of very young dogs. I've had puppy buyers ask me what's wrong with their pup if it soils in the house. My rule of thumb is that the pup should have it figured out by 6 months and be reliable by then. In the meantime, expect a few accidents.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Another thing that has worked well for us is a bath after each accident. I know it seems time consuming and can be repetitive, but when they smell urine on themselves they are more likely to soil their crate in my experience. Also cleaning the crate with a carpet cleaner that removes the odor not just Lysol or bleach. I clean with bleach first and then use the odor remover.

Just some ideas to try.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. She is 13 weeks, so I dont have high expectations around the house. Its usually my fault when she messes in the house. However, I have never had a pup that would soil her kennel no matter how tight the crate was in such a short amount of time. I had always heard that a pup wont soil themselves if you don't give them enough room.

We had been putting a towel in with her to act as bedding/absorption pad for when she messes so that it would simplify the transport from where her crate is to the hose. We have begun leaving her with no bedding, washing her, and cleaning the crate more thoroughly after each time. We have another round of puppy shots due on Tuesday so I will see what the vet says. Thanks again for all the advice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
having very similar issue December 2013...

Thanks everyone for the responses. She is 13 weeks, so I dont have high expectations around the house. Its usually my fault when she messes in the house. However, I have never had a pup that would soil her kennel no matter how tight the crate was in such a short amount of time. I had always heard that a pup wont soil themselves if you don't give them enough room.

We had been putting a towel in with her to act as bedding/absorption pad for when she messes so that it would simplify the transport from where her crate is to the hose. We have begun leaving her with no bedding, washing her, and cleaning the crate more thoroughly after each time. We have another round of puppy shots due on Tuesday so I will see what the vet says. Thanks again for all the advice.
So tell me how it ended. I am about to send this 13 week old male chessie into his new home...an outside run, if I can't get a handle on this dog peeing all over my house AND in his crate. I've never had a dog so difficult to crate train or house break. I am very diligent but it's never enough. He seems to pee constantly.

So...I'm hoping that you'll reassure me that all this will fix itself and will all be a distant memory very soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This particular pup turns 2 on Dec 17th of this month. There was no urinary tract issues. It was a LONG road to getting her reliably potty trained, with many trips home during lunch requiring me to change completely before returning back to work. I believe she was getting close to 5 months old before the crate issues went away, but that was after very diligent potty breaks, never letting her stay in a crate for more than 3 or 4 hours even at night. She left for a pro when she was 6 months old. He would make comments time to time about how she wasn't the neatest in her run. She returned when she was a year old. The accidents in her crate have gone away. I still don't trust her enough to leave her out while I am not home. Luckily for her, the difficulty of potty training her was in no way reflective of training her in the field. Training her has been pretty straight forward (can't thank the trainer enough for the magic he has done). She pulled out a second in the derby we ran last weekend, losing only to Lexie, a dog that has beaten her fair share of dogs this year.

Couldn't help but laugh reading this thread this morning and remembering how much I hated to come home to a puppy that just wanted my attention that was covered in that mess. Ha

Eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts