RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13 week old blm and ever since I got him he has always had diarrhea/soft stools. He always poops twice and initially the first one was solid/soft and the second was like liquid. Now, over the past couple of weeks it has gone to mainly liquid and really dark in color. We mentioned it to the vet while we were there for a puppy checkup and he just said "hes a puppy." I brought in a stool sample and he said they found nothing wrong with it. I guess I am concerned about it because soft stools do not seem normal, or at least for this long. We are in the process of looking for a new vet because we have not been impressed with our current one at all.

Food: Eukanuba Large Breed puppy. (What the breeder had him on)

Amount of food fed per day: 2 cups morning and 2 cups night. Yesterday tried giving him 1.5 cups to see if the squirts would quit and he still has them.

He does like to occasionally dig up crabgrass and chew it, and has yet to vomit from it.

I am just curious if it could possibly be the food at this point. It seems the Euk LBP is pretty popular around this site..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Do you keep the food in the original bag or do you dump it in a container?

Could need to be wormed as well. We typically dose em with wormer about every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Could need to be wormed as well.
This was my thought. I've had negative stool samples on puppies/dogs, wormed them and gotten a yucky surprise! Tell your vet to humor you, and worm the pup. It certainly won't hurt him.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I suggest you call your vet and ask if when they examined the stool sample, they also checked for coccidia.

The standard fecal floatation will not show the coccidia bacteria - it only identifies larger parasites. Coccidia is very common in young puppies, and your pup could have been infected from the time you brought him home. If your vet didn't specifically look for the coccidia bacteria, take another sample in and have that done. The cure is simple - a 7-day regimen of Albon (sulfadimethoxine), available from your vet.

From what you describe, I wouldn't suspect the food. I've raised puppies on Eukanuba for many years and wouldn't feed anything else.

Jeff

·
Registered
261 Posts
I kept a chessy pup for a friend for a month. I had her on the Eukanuba pup and hadthe same problem. Switched her over to the Eukanuba Premium Performance adult and the problem cleared up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Food is kept in a container. Have found ants in the bag when we used to keep it in just the bag.

Puppy was wormed at 6 weeks. Ill mention it to my NEW vet :)

And ill ask about the coccidia. Knowing this yahoo he probably doesnt even know what that is. On our first visit I asked about how to feed him and he said go by the back of the bag..thanks for your help doc..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Food is kept in a container. Have found ants in the bag when we used to keep it in just the bag.

Puppy was wormed at 6 weeks. Ill mention it to my NEW vet :)

And ill ask about the coccidia. Knowing this yahoo he probably doesnt even know what that is. On our first visit I asked about how to feed him and he said go by the back of the bag..thanks for your help doc..
You're feeding a top-shelf puppy chow. I've used every one of the top brands, and IMO Eukanuba is #1.

Coccidia is a very common issue that breeders have to deal with. The bacteria is nearly impossible to eradicate from the ground, so it's typical that once a breeder has had the problem, they will always have a high risk of future litters being infected. Based on your description, that's what you're dealing with. Get it taken care of right away - it can be serious if it really takes hold. Newborn pups can go from healthy to nearly dead in a matter of hours. It won't go away on its own.

·
Registered
97 Posts
By the way.......... you should worm again too. Use Safegaurd or Panacure (fenbendazole), not Nemex. Fenbendazole will also address giardia if your pup has a touch of that - Nemex won't. Nemex is a good first wormer for young pups, but yours is old enough for fenbendazole now through adulthood.

Jeff

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I just called the vet and they tested for coccidia and everything came back negative.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You're feeding a top-shelf puppy chow. I've used every one of the top brands, and IMO Eukanuba is #1.

Coccidia is a very common issue that breeders have to deal with. The bacteria is nearly impossible to eradicate from the ground, so it's typical that once a breeder has had the problem, they will always have a high risk of future litters being infected. Based on your description, that's what you're dealing with. Get it taken care of right away - it can be serious if it really takes hold. Newborn pups can go from healthy to nearly dead in a matter of hours. It won't go away on its own.
I too used Eukanuba for my last lab. However, I had to switch from regular large breed to lamb and rice because of the way my dog reacted to it. He was fine on L n R from then on.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I suggest you call your vet and ask if when they examined the stool sample, they also checked for coccidia.

The standard fecal floatation will not show the coccidia bacteria - it only identifies larger parasites. Coccidia is very common in young puppies, and your pup could have been infected from the time you brought him home. If your vet didn't specifically look for the coccidia bacteria, take another sample in and have that done. The cure is simple - a 7-day regimen of Albon (sulfadimethoxine), available from your vet.

From what you describe, I wouldn't suspect the food. I've raised puppies on Eukanuba for many years and wouldn't feed anything else.

Jeff
Ditto this.
As also suggested, I'd try this pup on Panacur. Will kill everything except coccidia.Is there blood? Mucous? That comes with Cocci. Panacur will get Giardia too.
All else fails, you can put the little guy on Probiotics as well. Thats a good "help the stomach digest things easier" med. Its over the counter, I get it at the health food store. helps with that in young pups. If I have issues with mine,and often do- they resolve out of it once they gt out of puppyhood,but you cant have the diarrhea continue.
Panacur, and/or Albon will hopefully help, even if the stool sample comes up neg...
Good luck-

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok I just called the vet and they tested for coccidia and everything came back negative.
Okay......... It is always possible your pup has a sensitive stomach, just wouldn't have been my first suspicion. But, I don't pretend to be a vet - I'm a breeder.

If you want to do an easy experiment to find out, try feeding a diet of cooked white rice and boiled chicken for a few days. If he gets normal, then you'll know before you buy a different bag of food if diet is the issue. It's an easy test that would save you from buying a bag of food that may not make a difference.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My pup use to do that as well. He's since outgrown it. Give him some yogurt!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I too used Eukanuba for my last lab. However, I had to switch from regular large breed to lamb and rice because of the way my dog reacted to it. He was fine on L n R from then on.
Good recommendation for an alternate food.

Try the bland diet test first (chicken & rice) before you switch foods. Lamb & Rice is a little pricey compared to the regular puppy or adult formulas.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good recommendation for an alternate food.

Try the bland diet test first (chicken & rice) before you switch foods. Lamb & Rice is a little pricey campared to the regular puppy or adult formulas.
Yes, but it sure beats cleaning up the kind of mess he's talking about :D

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Try cutting back to 3 cups a day and add a T of plain yogurt and 1 T of canned plain pumpkin before you make any radical changes. Most of the time it is over feeding but I would still do what Frontier said-deworm him for 3 days in a row with Panacur. The other suggestion would be to get a box of Forti-Flora and give it to him for a month.

By the way, Coccidia is not a bacteria, it is a protozoa.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Euk is a good quality food. We just switched over and couldn't be happier. Lets talk more about the food container. Did you use the container for dog food before you got the pup?

The best place to keep dog food is in the original bag. If you notice, the inside of the bags are lined with a "plastic" like material. This is to keep the oil from the kibble from soaking through the bag. When you dump dog food out of the bag and into a container, this oil will build up on the inside of the container and grow bacteria. So its best to keep it in the bag, or clean the container after each bag.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would also suggest yogurt and canned pumpkin as Nancy said plus cut back on quantity. If that does not work probably try a lamb/rice. There are also some 'sensitive stomach' foods available. And I generally will worm pups regularly until 6 months or so, but I don't think worms are the problem in this case. And frankly if your vet does not seem interested - find a new one! There are plenty of very good caring vets out there! Find one you like and stick with him/her even if they are not the cheapest in town.
Diane

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Try cutting back to 3 cups a day and add a T of plain yogurt and 1 T of canned plain pumpkin before you make any radical changes. Most of the time it is over feeding but I would still do what Frontier said-deworm him for 3 days in a row with Panacur.

By the way, Coccidia is not a bacteri, it is a protozoa.
X's 2....good luck with the little pup!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not sure where you live but I would try putting him on bottled water. I had a pup that had the runs from the beginning and went through all the same things you are going through. I put him on bottled water and he was better the next day with no further issues. I switched to filtered water and bought one of the Britta/Pur type filters and never had proplems again. Some dogs are just more sensitive than others. Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts