RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The puppy food I am using produces cow pie type stool. Add that to rain and jumping puppy and you get the picture...:(
Please recommend a good puppy food that may change my situation...

Thank You,

Rich

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
How old is the puppy? Before changing foods, what food is it? Is this the food the breeder recommended? Have you tried probiotics or yogurt and plain pumpkin. Has the puppy been checked for coccidia or giardia? Lots of rain can stir up giardia in the spring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think its a parasite or illness. I have two pups. About 16 weeks. The breeder of one of them recommended Purina Pro Plan Puppy. I thought I'd try something where corn was not the #1 ingredient. I went with a more expensive brand that I prolly won't name. Lamb and rice. The stool goes gray and loose right away. Didn't suprise me because changing foods and all... But now it's been two weeks and still loose. I think I will go back to the pro plan. They were doing fine.
Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should clarify that they were on the pro plan for 8 weeks after I got them. Then I made the change.
then immediate cow pies.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I don't think its a parasite or illness. I have two pups. About 16 weeks. The breeder of one of them recommended Purina Pro Plan Puppy. I thought I'd try something where corn was not the #1 ingredient. I went with a more expensive brand that I prolly won't name. Lamb and rice. The stool goes gray and loose right away. Didn't suprise me because changing foods and all... But now it's been two weeks and still loose. I think I will go back to the pro plan. They were doing fine.
Thanks,
Rich
switch slowly. Abrupt change will cause the runs too.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I better be fair here. I just did some research and The Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy Food does not have corn as the 1st ingredient. It is down the list a ways. I must have read it wrong.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have 13 pups currently 7 weeks old, all on Pro Plan Puppy. I am absolutely thrilled. All with well formed poo. I am highly recommending my buyers to stay with Pro Plan puppy at least for the first month after they go to new homes. Sometime down the road if they decide to switch to a more designer brand, well, ........that transition isn't on me.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Your pups are just expressing their opinion of corn phobia. We've seen just the opposite reaction when changing from other puppy formulas to Pro Plans.

·
Registered
622 Posts
there a reason you switched from PPP?? i tried a bunch of fancy foods with my pup because of the PPP "crummy ingredients" that are talked about...none of them worked as good as getting her back on PPP like the breeder had her on...used widely for a reason......on the 30/20 sport all life stages...

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
agreed- if the pup was doing fine on PPP before- put her back on it. (slowly,now). If you find you dont like that one anymore , switch (slowly) to Euk Pup Large Breed. Raised many a pups and litters on this one and its all I will use..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been feeding eukanuba for many years with great results. Switched last few pups I've gotten over after the adjustment to large breed puppy. Handle it well, consistent and good firm stools.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It does sound like something other than the food switch, unless you switched too fast and got the gut out of order. Try a canine probiotic. Check for coccidiosis and goarfish.
Along the lines of food, Fromm Puppy Gold is great. Can't buy it just anywhere. Great customer service and they have a breeder program.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It does sound like something other than the food switch, unless you switched too fast and got the gut out of order. Try a canine probiotic. Check for coccidiosis and goarfish.
Along the lines of food, Fromm Puppy Gold is great. Can't buy it just anywhere. Great customer service and they have a breeder program.
X2 for the Fromms Large Breed Puppy

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
They can get runny stools from over feeding. Try cutting back on the amount you are feeding and see if that helps.

Your pup might need less of the more expensive stuff because it digests and absorbs the nutrients more efficiently.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts