RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have searched and have only seen one person note the amount of gruel per puppy that you a feeding and the number of feedings per day. They stated 1/2C per pup three times per day.

Just want to ensure that everyone is getting enough .... it's sort of hard to tell when they look like this .....

Oh .... it's going to get messy ..............

:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
the messy part is why I gave up on gruel, especially when I watched 4 week old puppies walk over to mommas bowl and start eating her dry food:D

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
the messy part is why I gave up on gruel, especially when I watched 4 week old puppies walk over to mommas bowl and start eating her dry food:D
That's crap. The messy part is the - well, when they "process" it.

==

Name for male canine: dog

Name for female canine: bitch

Name for baby canine: poopie

And if you think the spelling is off, raise some 5-7 week old babie canines.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
159 views and no one has a "per cup x per pup x number of times per day" that they base their gruel feeding on?? I just want to make sure I'm not overfeeding or under feeding these puppies as they are weaning off mom ...............

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I started with 1/3 cup per pup 3x day. I increased the amount of solids in the food for a few days, the started to increase the amount. If they started to get loose stools, I backed off a bit.

I made the gruel by grinding a bunch of dry food in a blender, then i mixed the gruel as needed, using water, a small amount of milk replacer powder, and a glob of unflavored, regular yougurt to make it test better. I fed the less assertive pups seperately to better control the amount they ate. They were smaller, so I fed them a little less.

As far as the mess goes, I used a pine shaving litter box. 90% of the mess ended up in the pine shavings. Thanks to RTF for that suggestion. I had 13 pups and the pooped a lot.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sue

I have found over time. You need to just play with the amount and increase it so they never eat all of it. The pups will eat until they have had enough. I also put enough bowls that there are only 2-3 eating out of each. It seems to have reduced the number of pups that have vacuum syndrome as older dogs ( empty a bowl in seconds ).
I feed four times a day. I've never measured amount per pup.
Also as someone posted if stool is to soft cut back the water in mix.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been feeding three times a day and it appears that I am not too far off on quantity from the looks of things. I also went with the pine pellets in a litter box and that is working very well .... it is amazing how quickly they picked up on that!

Thank you RTF'rs!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I start my pups out with 1/4 cup 2 x's a day when they are still nursing some and then go to 3 times a day. 5 weeks I move to 1/3 cup a day 3x's a day and then at 6 weeks I go 1/2 cup 3x's a day until they go home.

I do not ever grind or crush my food for pups. I put in a circular bowl and put water on the food until it is soft. ie. push on it and it squishes. As they get better I gradually soak less and make it progressively harder. At the end I give them dry kibble the last 5 or 6 days before they go home. Make sure they get plenty of water also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts