RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12 week old puppy has been great in his crate... Up untill a few days ago... He doesn't whine or howl at night when we put him in, and we let him out plenty during the night to go to the bathroom... But when he is ready to wake up and come out, you can't shut him up... He'll scream and cry forever... We've tried vinegar and water in a spray bottle and it doesn't phase him... We don't let him out when he is acting this way, but was wondering if y'all had and suggestions to correct it?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Kinda like a baby, somtimes ya just gotta let em cry. pup will figure it out.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Time to move his crate out of the bedroom. Once my young'un could make it through the night reliably I moved his crate to the living room. My pup loves to play chase the tail at 4 in the morning when hes done sleeping. Sounds like a Tasmanian devil in there.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
After sleeping for several hours at night, pups are ready to get up, get out to potty, eat, drink and socialization. I set my alarm at 5 a.m. so I can be the first to control the wake-up call... If you have a young pup, you need to be prepared for your role in this... That means no more extra minutes to sleep in for a while.

Also, why are you getting up multi times during the night with the pup? At 12 weeks, the pup should be sleeping thru the night..as long as you are feeding no later than 7 p.m. and take up water by 9 p.m. unless of course retire for the evening very early... even then only one trip outside should be sufficient and back in the crate to sleep until the alarm goes off. Does the pup have any health issue, loose stools???

Hope you are not squirting the little guy in the face with vinegar and water :confused: after he has spent all night sleeping and just wants to be with you.

Is there consistency in the household on how the pup is managed? Pups thrive on routine. If everyone is not on the same page, it makes it more challenging...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Terrie,

Thanks for your help along the way... We have been operating off the rule that he needs to be let out every 4 hours (his age in months + 1)... No loose stools, and no we haven't been shooing him with the vinegar and water in the morning... We tried that early on during the day when he would whine and found it didn't work for him so we discontinued... When we are home is always out of the crate with us, we're really working now to teach him
Manners around the house... His training is going well and he is a really smart dog, just trying to teach him how to get along in the house.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
The age in months +1 applies to when they are awake.

Go to this website and on the middle right on home page is section called Must reads. Read and follow the puppy stuff and you'll be OK.

http://www.dogtrainersworkshop.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts