RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 8 1/2 week old Lab Tucker was talking walks with us great walking right next to use. The last 2 days we will go to the end of the road and he will just sit down, and wont move. I cannot understand why? any thoughts?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe you take him to far?
its litterally 1 block. he use to walk around the whole block about a half mile now he goes about 100 ft and sits.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Most likely the beginning of one of the fear periods.
Totally normal. I would not force the issue. I had one that did the same thing. Was walking fine at 8 1/2 weeks and suddenly would stop at the end of the driveway and didn't want to go further.

Lasted about a week or so.
Best of luck and as long as there is no other physical problem this would be my best guess.

Kim S

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Totally normal. I would not force the issue. I had one that did the same thing. Was walking fine at 8 1/2 weeks and suddenly would stop at the end of the driveway and didn't want to go further.

Best of luck and as long as there is no other physical problem this would be my best guess.

Kim S
From what i can see there is no physical issue, he plays and is hyper like any pup. I hope its just a phse which it seems as if it is

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Play with him in your yard. An 8wk old baby doesn't need to walk a block, let alone miles.
I will try this. He was so content on our walks and seemed to enjoy them.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I don't know where you live but I'd be real careful taking a young pup like that out in "public" He needs to have more shots, especially parvo, before he hits the big time. I speak from experience, though I didn't take my pup out until he had all his shots and he still got parvo. Enjoy your pup but be careful.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts

Kim S
x2

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OMG guys i never thought about that. his seconds shots are going to be done tomorrow. My roomates dog i dont think has had any shots and she is a terrible dog owner. How at risk am i im really worried not that Tucker will get some thing from her dog

·
Registered
498 Posts
Do you have an older dog that you can take for a walk with you as well as th pup. Pups trust thier own kind more than we humans until their is a bond and trust established which takes time and you being present. The young pup will follow the big dog happily before it will partner up with you.
It makes sense to to expose the pup to as much as possible. "A hundred dogs, a hundred people in a hundred days".

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have an older dog that you cantake for a walk with you as well as th pup. Pups trust thier own kind more than we humans until their is a bond and trust established which takes time and your being present. The young pup will follow the big dog happily before will partner up with you.
It makes sense to to expose the pup to as much as possible. "A hundred dogs, a hundred people in a hundred days".
I my self do not have an older dog. I do have a very good friend who has a very obedient Lab thats like 7 years old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts