RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 week old female Chessie. Lately she's been acting strangely. A couple of weeks ago she was playing with my friends yellow puppy who is just a couple weeks older than her. That night she strained her right front leg an was walking on it funny. We took her to the vet the next day and she showed no tenderness and acted just fine. The vet said she wanted we back in a month for her next shots and to check the leg again.

Tonight we went out to the field by my house to do her nightly puppy exploring and fun time. She was just fine and dandy. She doesn't show any signs of pain. The only thing she is doing that concerns me is her uneasiness. It is not evident when she runs or goes any faster than snail pace. When she is walking slow or standing still though, she stands funny on her right leg. It's like it quivers and she will only put weight on it for a short period. She quivers it and then walks off a few steps. She just acts unsteady on her leg.

She is just fine otherwise. One of the most playful pups you'll ever meet. Nice as can be, playful all day long, etc. I'm kind of nervous as I don't want her to have any further injury.

What would you guys do, and what could it be?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Matt

·
Registered
234 Posts
how's her weight? can you post a pic?

just throwing this out there just in case.... heavy thick pups can cause bone and joint problems. If you think this might be a factor switch to a large breed food or even cut back on her food to lean her out a bit if she is getting too fat or too thick too quick.

best of luck to you 2

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
The quaking sounds like rapid growth. Give her an adult food, lower protein. I'm sure a Chessy person will say they keep their Chessy's on adult because it is a common problem with them

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She was actually the runt of the litter. In my opinion her weight is just fine. She was 11.8 pounds at 9 weeks. She's a fairly small pup. I'll try to get a picture. Her leg shows no swelling, she acts like its not hurting her at all, but she still doesn't like putting a whole lot of weight on it. I'm at a loss...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The quaking sounds like rapid growth. Give her an adult food, lower protein. I'm sure a Chessy person will say they keep their Chessy's on adult because it is a common problem with them
She's on Eukanuba large breed adult right now. She has been since we brought her home. When I got her that is what was suggested. Could it be rapid growth still?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'd have some X-rays done if it's a recurring thing or if the pup is showing signs of general tenderness. There is a condition called Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy that appears specifically in young dogs and causes lameness. It is inflammation in the growth plates. I have a rescued pup with this. All of a sudden, he had started limping like crazy and didn't want to put any weight on his front right leg. After a short course of anti-inflammatories, the pain subsided and he's doing well. The good news is that pups usually grow out of it without any permanent damage.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd have some X-rays done if it's a recurring thing or if the pup is showing signs of general tenderness. There is a condition called Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy that appears specifically in young dogs and causes lameness. It is inflammation in the growth plates. I have a rescued pup with this. All of a sudden, he had started limping like crazy and didn't want to put any weight on his front right leg. After a short course of anti-inflammatories, the pain subsided and he's doing well. The good news is that pups usually grow out of it without any permanent damage.
Are there any other signs of the condition you speak of? She shows no signs of tenderness, which is odd to me.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
She's on Eukanuba large breed adult right now. She has been since we brought her home. When I got her that is what was suggested. Could it be rapid growth still?
Call your breeder and see what they recommend. Is the front leg bowing a little?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Call your breeder and see what they recommend. Is the front leg bowing a little?
It is bowing out a little when she stands on it. I guess I forgt to mention that in my concerns... Whoops.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I would not be letting her run around until you get the situation resolved. If your breeder is close it may be worth a trip to discuss her problem.

·
Registered
397 Posts
WOW..if I'm reading it correctly, Eukanuba large breed adult is only 23/13 protein/fat ratio. Personally, I wouldn't feed that ratio to my adult or senior CBRs let alone to a 10 week old pup. I do recommend feeding a quality adult food to all my puppy buyers...around a 26/14 ratio. If you look at the first five ingredients of this formula it is:

Ingredients
Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal (Natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Ground Whole Grain Barley,

The chicken after being processed is no longer at the top of the list so your basically feeding a grain based food. If this were my CBR pup and it was bowing and becoming lame especially at this age I would slowly switch it over to a better quality food (meat protein v grain in the 26/14 range).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I feed Nutro max to all my other adult dogs. I've had great success with it. I was actually thinking of making the switch, and at this point im going to do it. It's the best I can buy locally and has worked well on all my dogs. What are the odds of rapid growth being the problem over others mentioned?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Are there any other signs of the condition you speak of? She shows no signs of tenderness, which is odd to me.
It was just general soreness in the limb. I never could isolate it. When my vet showed me the films and told me what he noticed, I could even see it clearly due to the two tell-tale signs. He's been off the medication for weeks now and is doing great. He's back to running around like a hellion and harassing my other dog. Hopefully, it's something this minor.

·
Registered
397 Posts
What are the odds of rapid growth being the problem over others mentioned?
Chances are pretty good it's rapid growth especially with a CBR pup but one can never rule out there might be another problem. I also supplement with vitamin C...starting as pups and continue through adulthood. Knock on wood I have yet had a pup bow out, knuckle over or have had problems with pano.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sent you a pm Susie.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I feed Nutro max to all my other adult dogs. I've had great success with it. I was actually thinking of making the switch, and at this point im going to do it. It's the best I can buy locally and has worked well on all my dogs. What are the odds of rapid growth being the problem over others mentioned?
I usually go buy a 4 pound bag of low protein food, Nutro has a over-weight formula, and feed it for 2 weeks and it usually stops in a few days. We can't see the dog so maybe a second opinion would be in order. I agree with the Vitamin C as it can't hurt and it does help some. It has only happened to me with males I have purchased.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Heading to petsmart this afternoon as I'm in need of food anyways. I'll be picking up some of the food you just mentioned. I've never heard of supplementing with vitamin c, but I am going to try it.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Heading to petsmart this afternoon as I'm in need of food anyways. I'll be picking up some of the food you just mentioned. I've never heard of supplementing with vitamin c, but I am going to try it.
Go to a Walgreens or Walmart and you can usually get it buy one get one free. Probably not the same thing but my Wolfhound's front legs shake when she is standing still because she doesn't lock her knee. When she stands straight and puts weight down they don't shake.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This sounds like carpal flexion syndrome--something i've had in a few chessie litters, although it usually shows up a few weeks earlier.

if it is this syndrome, there is nothing you can or should do: it will resolve, usually by 16 wks, & may show up in the other front leg. It is a looseness/ instability in the wrist as the pup goes thru growth spurt, and it can be scary to look at, esp. if it's severe.

Symptoms: pup will be "over" or bowed at the wrist & wobbly or shaky, esp. when sitting. Pup can get a bit more tired than normal, but feels no pain. A ton of running should be avoided, but don't splint or intervene.

Obviously, this is totally contradictory to what you should do if pup is injured; the problem is that 99% of vets know nothing of carpal fflexion syndrome & tend to way overreact. So contact other chessie breeders who may have seen this, and most importantly, observe your pup carefully to see if the above symptoms apply. Remember, there will be absolutely no signs of pain, but wrist will seem weak, shaky, or tired.

good luck, hope you figure out what this is....

Connie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts