RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how everyone starts young pups on marking? I have read books and know how I have done it in the past, but I am wanting to know how you guys start a 7-8 week old pup on marking and retrieving all the way to 5-6 months old before they are FF'ed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I start 2 weeks after i get them home. The first 2 weeks is a way for the pup to bond to me and the family and get comfortable with his new home.

After a couple weeks of the above, i go to short retrieves in the house with a very small paint roller "usually in a hallway so i know pup will at least return towards me" Let pup hold the paint roller if he or she wishes, never take away roller right away. When pup is confident with the paint roller then i move outside to very short retrieves "8-10 feet with a check cord, i also do this by myself.

After i feel pup is doing good on the wing, i introduce a bird boy. This is done by my wife. Retrieves are short and pup is still on a check cord.

After pup is returning to me with retrieves, i remove the check cord and evaluate his performance, if he is reluctant to return to me then he is back on a check. All retrieves are very short sessions, only 3-5 total per day.

Hope this helps.

Brad

·
Registered
204 Posts
Jackie Mertens has a wonderful video, "Sound Beginnings" which deals with starting your retriever pup on the right training foot, so to speak.

I would highly recommend you go to her website ( www.topbrass-retrievers.com ) and order a copy. That should answer a lot of your puppy retriever-training questions..

Bente

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I agree that you should start in a confined space like a hall way or in between your house and fence if they are close. Make the pup love it. Always quit leaving him wanting more. When he is completely loving it, then chunk it further in low mowed cover. Once the dog is doing well with that, then get a gunner slash thrower to help. This person should be instructed to help the pup by throwing another duck or dummy if the dog starts to come back without the first one. The lengthen things out and add heavier cover. Each step along the way should be started in low cover and then moved to deeper cover. Then have the gunner dog walking singles, where they walk out further and further at an angle. This teaches the dog depth perception. Then I back it all up and start with some easy doubles.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Bente said:
Jackie Mertens has a wonderful video, "Sound Beginnings" which deals with starting your retriever pup on the right training foot, so to speak.

I would highly recommend you go to her website ( www.topbrass-retrievers.com ) and order a copy. That should answer a lot of your puppy retriever-training questions..

Bente
Very good resource for the training of puppies through the first few months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts