RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 6th pick of a 9 puppy litter. Both parents are NAFC. One American (NAFC,FC,AFC) and one Canadien (CNAFC, FC,AFC,CFC, CAFC). Only two males in litter and they are spoken for. 3 blacks in litter and 6 yellows. I will probably be choosing between 3 YF and 1BF. I know its all a crap shoot but is there anything I should be looking for? I will probably have to have litter owner help choose since they are so far away. Pup will be shipped to me. Some pups are EIC clear and some are carriers. No effected pups. Should I let the litter owner close eyes and choose for me or should I just guess myself by looks and what litter owner tells me. I know nothing is guaranteed but just wanting best advice for choosing. Very expensive puppy so I want to take best shot. Thanks

·
Registered
834 Posts
Should I let the litter owner close eyes and choose for me or should I just guess myself by looks and what litter owner tells me. I know nothing is guaranteed but just wanting best advice for choosing. Very expensive puppy so I want to take best shot. Thanks
You should close your eyes and let the owner pick based on what you are looking for.

They will have spent 7 weeks of their lives with those pups. They will know better than anybody what traits each pup has at that time.

Congrats on the new pup. Enjoy

Randy

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I really like that litter, wish I had the the extra money!!! If of course it is the one I am thinking of!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Went through this a month ago. Litter was being raised two states away, and I was getting to pick from 6 pups out of nine. We didn't ship, we drove up there, but we were only going to get about an hour to spend with the pups to choose. So a week before going, we gave the breeder a concise list of personality traits we wanted so she could know ahead of time how best to match us up.

For instance, we asked for:
1. a middle of the road personality as far as dominance-independence. Not too independent but not too submissive.

2. makes good eye contact.

3. has courage in new environment but has brain enough to consider its steps.

etc, etc.

Armed with that info for about a week before you get the pup, the breeder can really help in matching you up. Our breeder nailed it. She let us see all 6 pups, and explained each one - then told us the two she thought best fit our description. One of those two, picked us and was prettier in our eyes, so we picked her. But you could ask your breeder to video each pup put by itself and that may help confirm the breeders match for you or not.

Good luck and watch out for week 11 - 14 when the confidence level amps up and the piranha mouth comes at everything in sight!!! Stock up on bully sticks!!!

By the way, each pup really does have a different personality and approach to the world.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
By the way, each pup really does have a different personality and approach to the world.
Except that can all change after they leave the dynamics of the litter

G

·
I would trust Sarita and Bill to pick your puppy. We have a male out of their sweet Libby, at the time Libby was being cared for by Jeannie Garland (Riparian Ret) we had 3rd pick out of a all yellow 6 male litter. Jeannie picked our Bear and we could not have been happier. We hope to buy our next pup from Sarita and I know she will do the picking for us!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
True Nancy, and if you have a good litter to choose a pup from, you probably can't go wrong, unless you get the Alpha pup and you aren't ready for an Alpha pup!

My older male was and is absolutely an alpha dog and despite being a pretty experienced dog person, I wasn't thrilled with it in the beginning. I learned how to shape him and it turned out ok, but he's not the best mascot for my doggie daycare, like i'd hoped. He is one of my all time fave dogs i've ever had, but very hard to train for distance field work - he is self employed. Thus the purchase of the new middle road dominance field pup.

My older female is a Bernese Mtn Dog who was the wall flower as a pup in a litter of 13 and is still absolutely a wall flower - when we walk, she is behind us, heating up our heels with her heavy breathing. She is 9 and has always been that way.

Jennifer

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I agree.... You have picked a fine litter, excellent breeders.. They picked a great one for me in the past from the same dam Ham (different sire).

Trust Sarita and Bill to make your choice.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I also agree if you can't visit the kennel in person ask the breeder which pup they would take. I know who's who in my litters and am always glad to point out specific characteristics of a particular pup.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
I would trust Sarita and Bill to pick your puppy. We have a male out of their sweet Libby, at the time Libby was being cared for by Jeannie Garland (Riparian Ret) we had 3rd pick out of a all yellow 6 male litter. Jeannie picked our Bear and we could not have been happier. We hope to buy our next pup from Sarita and I know she will do the picking for us!
No doubt. I'm taking the last yellow female out of the Ham/Grady breeding. Still wanting a Livvy pup?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts