RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a litter of pups 5 weeks ago. Sire is a real nice big chocolate dog, Bosco, that I trained thru transition and has been a great hunter for 4 years. Went 4 for 5 in HRC seasoned last month and is 3 for 3 in HRC finished this month. Running for the title today.
Dam is a big black girl who was hunted on a quail plantation for 4 years. No HT experience , but thousands of retrieves in the real world.
Both parents share AFC Coolwaters Ready To Go as a sire. This is a line breeding on Ready.
Reason for the breeding is to try to make a special dog. This is Duke. He was one of the very best I have ever had. He was out of Ready also and was going to be a special dog. On the day he died, he ran a 325 and 375 yard double mark and lined a 550 yard blind between the marks. HRCH at 25 months and was just hitting his stride. He was rock steady at the .line, had great eyes, could mark very well, a real team player.

So I put Bosco and Charger together with the intent of keeping several of the males at least thru FF to be sure I got the right one, if there was one.
We have a litter of 6, 5 males and 1 female. The female is going to the stud owner as his pick, I had already promised a dog for a hunting dog and last week a friend called me and asked if all of my puppies were spoken for. He has a son who was severely wounded in AFG when he dove on a grenade to save his fellow soldiers. He lost an eye, almost lost an arm, (will have very limited use of it) and had over 200 pieces of shrapnel removed form his torso and legs. His Kevlar vest saved his life. He is being considered for nomination for Medal of Honor.
My buddy wants a pup for his sons for hunting and I am sure part of the mental and physical rehab of his wounded soldier son. He will get one for sure.
Now the dilemma. I’m down to 3 left and have to decide to keep 3 or sell one more amd hope I kept “the right one” out of the 2 left.
This week I shot the .22 over them while eating, took them to the water and all got right in and were swimming like champs. Took them off the ground up food and now to whole food wet soaked. Next week, live pigeons.
Here they are this AM eating like 6 little piranhas in the feed pan.

These have been the easiest pups to raise that I have ever had. The mother kept feeding them almost to 4 weeks. They are neat in the kennel already. Here is where they are living now, on my downstairs porch next to the hot tub. They have shade, a fan and are doing their business out on the gravel part, not on the concrete. Wish they were all that easy to raise.

More pics next week with the birds.
MP

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I’m down to 3 left and have to decide to keep 3 or sell one more amd hope I kept “the right one” out of the 2 left.
That's not a choice............it's simply a request for someone to tell you to keep all three.

You're welcome regards, Jim

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
This is Duke. He was one of the very best I have ever had. He was out of Ready also and was going to be a special dog. On the day he died, he ran a 325 and 375 yard double mark and lined a 550 yard blind between the marks. HRCH at 25 months and was just hitting his stride. He was rock steady at the .line, had great eyes, could mark very well, a real team player.

What happened to Duke?!?

M

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a fire in Dec 2010 that killed all my dogs except 1.
Thanks for asking
MP

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I had a fire in Dec 2010 that killed all my dogs except 1.
Thanks for asking
MP
Forgive me. I must have known. I would not have been so insensitive had I put two and two together. You're a very strong person to have kept putting one foot in front of the other. Very best of luck to you with the new pups.
I hope Duke is always on your shoulder.
M

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
mike,what brand of welded wire kennel is that.?

·
Registered
572 Posts
ive seen that kennel at tractor supply.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Mike, I hope "the One" is in that group. My myself, I"d pick from black, whatever you've got of boys, in black. So cool to see you back in action!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here is "Red" yesterday with a drake wing.

Think I have my guy picked out. I wanted a big dog and the biggest male "Blackie" is always the first to find me after they eat, he is a good swimmer, first one to pick up the tennis ball last week when he was big enough. I sit in a chair to watch them eat and play in the downstairs back yard and a couple times each session he will run over and sit in front of me to have his ears scratched. Tail wagging 100 MPH.
Check back in a year and we will see if I did right.
MP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts