RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shipping a puppy to Newark, NJ in about 3 weeks with Continental. I've been searching the forums for some kennels, but I know regulations change over time (some of the threads I've found are 3 years old). What kind (brand) of kennel are you using to ship pups in the past few months and where are you buying them? TIA

·
Registered
244 Posts
They say that United is the best. Some airlines allow puppies in the cabin but not cargo. You will have to check. My dogs went Northwest which is now United. Never a problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They say that United is the best. Some airlines allow puppies in the cabin but not cargo. You will have to check. My dogs went Northwest which is now United. Never a problem.
Yeah, Continental and United have also merged, and are still using the PetSafe program. I feel like that is the best option. I just want to get a solid kennel that'll be good for the pup. I haven't shipped a pup in over 4 years as I don't have litters on a regular basis. Would like some input from folk who have shipped a pup within the last month or so because the regulations do change. Would like the process to go as smooth as possible for the puppy, mine, and the buyer's sake.

·
Registered
129 Posts
FWIW - Northwest is now Delta not United.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
The main thing about shipping crates is metal fasteners. The plastic clips that come with some crates...like the green and white Remingtons.... aren't acceptable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I ship all of my pups in a SkyKennel by Petmate. I purchase them at http://www.dog.com
These crates are designed for international flights and come with the two required bowls (if you can call them that) I purchase a coop cup that fastens on the door, freeze the water in the bowl and keep it in a cooler until I drop the pup off. The water thaws slowly and they have a larger supply of water that is not splashing all over them the whole way. I stick one of the plastic bowls that comes with it in there to fulfill the requirements for two. It comes with all the labels you need and if you line the bottom with newspapers and supply a chew toy to the pup such as a Cuz ball or other rugged item they should arrive in great condition. The chewing helps with the ears. I tape a bag of food and all paperwork to the top of the crate. Don't forget you will need a health certificate dated within 10 days of the flight. If you want any other tips give me a call. I use the medium size crate for pups 8 weeks through about 4 months then an intermediate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts