RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a litter of pups, 4 weeks old that are line bred on AFC Coolwaters Ready To Go. Both sire and dam are very familiar to me and the reason for the breeding was to attempt to make a real nice dog that I lost a couple years ago, out of Ready. He was very intelligent, a great marker and ran long straight lines. I want anothe rjust like him.
We had 5 males and 1 female, 3 black, 3 choc. I am wanting to keep a pup that will be large in size. The current sire, a Ready son, is 80 lbs. The dam is also out of Ready and over 70 lbs.
4 of these pups are obviously larger than the others. 1 black and 1 choc by far the largest of the pack.
Reason and logic would say that these 2 guys will be the biggest as adults.
Thoughts?

MP

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Totally not scientific, but in the litters that we bred, generally we could estimate the mature "inshape" weight of a puppy by taking his/her weight at 5 weeks old and multiplying by 10. a 6 lb pup would mature to roughly 60 lbs. The 8 lb pup at 5 wks old would be an 80 lb dog. etc...

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
I have a litter of pups, 4 weeks old that are line bred on AFC Coolwaters Ready To Go. Both sire and dam are very familiar to me and the reason for the breeding was to attempt to make a real nice dog that I lost a couple years ago, out of Ready. He was very intelligent, a great marker and ran long straight lines. I want anothe rjust like him.
We had 5 males and 1 female, 3 black, 3 choc. I am wanting to keep a pup that will be large in size. The current sire, a Ready son, is 80 lbs. The dam is also out of Ready and over 70 lbs.
4 of these pups are obviously larger than the others. 1 black and 1 choc by far the largest of the pack.
Reason and logic would say that these 2 guys will be the biggest as adults.
Thoughts?

MP
Size of pups when born is more relative to where they are spaced in the uterus.

Pups born bigger (throwing out any health issues) should be bigger at weaning but does not necessarily mean they will be bigger as adults.

At weaning (if size is a consideration) I try to pick the puppy with the biggest features (head, feet etc) but that is proportionate (really big feet but a small head could mean anything). At least doing it this way, they should be balanced as adults. It does not always mean that they will be the biggest though.

Case in point, three black males:

At weaning, 16 lbs, 15 lbs and 12 lbs. The 12 lb pup and the 16lb pup are 4 lbs apart in size at 15 months of age.

WRL

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im curious to this as well. My dog Trooper was 11 pounds at 6 .5 weeks. At 10.5 weeks right now he is at 19 1/2 pounds. I have a feeling he is going to be a big dog. His paws are enormous.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Size of pups when born is more relative to where they are spaced in the uterus....
I had a small bitch who threw big litters. The pups were all born small and weaned small. (Roughly 8 oz born, 8 lbs at 7 weeks.) One of those litters had a large pup (born first) and two tiny ones. The large pup grew into a beautiful 75 lb dog. The two tiny ones grew to near 90 lbs.

You just can't tell.

(All the bitch pups were normal 65 lb adults.)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Totally not scientific, but in the litters that we bred, generally we could estimate the mature "inshape" weight of a puppy by taking his/her weight at 5 weeks old and multiplying by 10. a 6 lb pup would mature to roughly 60 lbs. The 8 lb pup at 5 wks old would be an 80 lb dog. etc...
I hope this formula isnt to accurate my pup was 15lbs at 5weeks. i want a large dog but not that large:p just at vet last night 29.3 lbs at 11.5 weeks. and not fat.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Just thinking about this yesterday. My little girl is 32lbs at just under 6 months old. When first got her, everyone thought she had huge paws and would be a large dog, but not proven yet. She is long which may help in future.

Just never know.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I never understand when people use weight to determine if the dog is big or small. It seems height and weight together is needed to measure a dog. I have two dogs. One is just touching 20 inches tall and 52 pounds at 4 years old (she is all muscle). Then my 18 month old is 23 inches tall and weighs 58 pounds. She is lean and I'm sure as time goes on she will fill out. I would say my younger dog is a big girl based on height, but she would be considered small if you looked at just her weight. My older dog would seem very little if you looked at just the weight, but she looks more male than female when you look at how muscular she is on a smaller frame. So my older dog would be a pig if she was 70 pounds, but my younger dog would just be a big girl.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I agree and you might want to throw length in there as well. We have a golden that is 95 lbs and doesn't look fat at all but she is really long. a short coupled dog at 95 would look fat I'd guess.
I never understand when people use weight to determine if the dog is big or small. It seems height and weight together is needed to measure a dog. I have two dogs. One is just touching 20 inches tall and 52 pounds at 4 years old (she is all muscle). Then my 18 month old is 23 inches tall and weighs 58 pounds. She is lean and I'm sure as time goes on she will fill out. I would say my younger dog is a big girl based on height, but she would be considered small if you looked at just her weight. My older dog would seem very little if you looked at just the weight, but she looks more male than female when you look at how muscular she is on a smaller frame. So my older dog would be a pig if she was 70 pounds, but my younger dog would just be a big girl.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
I picked the smallest pup in the litter. There were no runts . Now at 17 months he is my biggest dog at 75# and still a lot of filling out to do! So I am not so sure how much pup size has to do with mature size:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts