RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here - greatly appreciate all the advice everyone is so willing to provide.

I've just gone through a pretty rough experience with a brand new pup - bottom line is that he has a broken femur (was nearly much worse). I took him to a recommended surgeon today for surgery to repair the leg.

Here's my question. How it was described to me was that a metal pin would be inserted through the femur to hold the two pieces of bone together - seemed normal. What got me though, was that I was told the pin had to be a little longer than what normally be used, relative to the size of the bone, because it had to allow for the puppy to grow and the bone to literally slide on the pin. Furthermore, the pin would actually stick out of the skin a little bit, which supposedly makes removal easier. A splint would also be added to the leg for stability.

Does this sound right to anyone who has done something like this or knows of the procedure? I've spent a lot of time on the internet searching, but can't seem to find something specific to a puppy.

I appreciate any help/advice!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Makes sense to me , I had a broken shoulder when I was twenty one , the left the pin sticking out for the same reason. I was a pretty sight , I can tell you...
I had a ten week old break a leg and she is sound now...(was gonna say sound as a dollar , but that is not very goood anymore..:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Had a friend (human) that had the same deal. broke his femur doing silly crap on a motorcycle. they put a pin through it and it stuck out his skin.. then they pulled it out, which did not feel good.

positive thought, young ones heal up quick, they are resilent.

I am not vet. best of luck.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
it stuck out his skin.. then they pulled it out, which did not feel good.

YOU are not kiddin!! It was kind of a grinding, grating pain as they rotated the pin back and forth. That was 30 yrs ago and I can still feel and hear it...

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
YOU are not kiddin!! It was kind of a grinding, grating pain as they rotated the pin back and forth. That was 30 yrs ago and I can still feel and hear it...

Ewwwww you made my skin crawl and my gut roll. :p No advice but good luck to you and your pup!

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is how it's done in humans. Not nearly as painful coming out as it was going in! Good luck to you and your pup.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I had a friend who broke both legs in multiple places in a plane crash. He had all kinds of stuff sticking out for 6 months..It was ugly but it worked.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Broke a wrist once and they had a pin stickin out of inner side for about 3 months. I could grab it and spin it around, great for dull conversation!

Doc grabbed it with a needle nose lookin thing and twisted it out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A combination of internal and external fixation( with pins sticking out) is very common in complex fracture care in people.
What is described in your post makes sense for growing bone healing.
Best of luck with your pup.
Kim S.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to the responses. Got a call from the vet this evening - finished the surgery and everything looked great. We're picking him up tomorrow. He's had a really eventful 2-3 weeks, so hopefully we'll get some stability and normalcy for the little guy.

Appreciate the well wishes.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes the pin needs to be longer than in an adult to allow for growth since it is a pup. Even in the case of an adult the pin would be longer than the bone so that it can later be removed by grasping the exposed end. In adult dogs the pin even though it is longer is sometimes hidden under the skin but you can see and/or feel where it is.

How long is the splint going to be in place?
I ask because there may be an issue with a growing pup and stiffness in the joint. Also the splint will probably need to be adjusted often depending on how fast the pup is growing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure on length, but I'm coming back for a weekly visit for exactly that reason. Vet said 2 weeks and we could have to re-do the splint.

I feel a lot better after reading the responses - I am just overly sensitive to his welfare after the accident that caused him to be in this situation in the first place.

I'll talk to the vet of course, but with a 4 week minimum on the steel pin, he'll be at least 12 weeks old before the pin is out - with little to no physical activity during that time, I'm trying to figure out when I can/should get him started in some training (seriously considering Hillman's dvd). Definitely not going to rush things.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I know they use pins, but in the case of a six month old border collie we had it did not work at all, but maybe it was done improperly. She spent weeks with that stupid pin in. Vet removed pin and said it was healed, in reality it was not at all, in fact a piece of wire they had wrapped the break with had actually moved to hold the bone apart. Eventually took her a new vet who put a plate in and then it healed and was fine.

Make sure they do xrays to track the progress, and make sure you see the final one before they declare your pup healed.

Good luck with the healing process. Stuffed Kong toys are a good occupier for confined dogs. Might look into some of the doggy brain game toys made now that your pup could do without moving around, supervised of course, like this http://www.fetchdog.com/pet-supplie...toys/wood-dog-brick-interactive-dog-toy/00662

1 - 13 of 13 Posts