RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What basic equipment would yall suggest for training a puppy. I would like to start getting a few things. And what brand are manufacture would you suggest if this has been asked before sorry. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
You don't need much for a puppy. A leash & a crate. You might also want some old socks to toss (or you could buy a small canvas bumper).

Eventually you'll want some bumpers or paint rollers. I used a choke collar, heeling stick and a long rope to teach obedience (but not until my pup was a bit older).

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Four foot lead, collar, tennis ball, canvas puppy bumper, and pieces of hot dog for bait (I cut a hot dog lengthwise and then cut them in slices about as thick as a nickle).

You'll need more leads and more bumpers and a whistle when he's older.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Don't forget to get YOURSELF a couple of bottles of your favorite booze!:D
You will need that, as you and pup begin your journey! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Richard I am from Louisiana beer and booze is like the american express we never leave home without it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm pretty new to training for hunt test, but I have been training with a group since my puppy was one day shy of nine weeks. She is nine months now. So here are the things I have bought over the months so I could train with a group.
List:
crate, many different size collars(plastic is best for fast drying), six foot leash, 40 foot long line, towels (water work), bumpers all kinds (started with canvas, then white plastic, then black & white, black, and finally orange) also my bumpers are small for puppies and large for adult, dumb bell, duck call, several different whistles, canvas bags to store all my stuff, a starter pistol, blanks, boots, clothes that match mud, water dishes that attach to the crate, a fan for outside, a bucket to sit on, black gloves, ice chest, hand wipes (dead ducks used many times can be gross so I like to wipe my hands before eating lunch), chap lip balm, hat, a ramp (for my pup to get in and out of the back of the truck), e-collar, two way radio, choke collar, prong collar, a tab, several different kinds of dead birds, training books and videos. I didn't need to buy a bark collar.

After typing my list I thing I need to buy an SUV to put all my stuff in it. I have used every thing I have bought, but at different points during our training.

Terri

1 - 7 of 7 Posts