RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a list of what they do with puppy training? Things I can think of off hand are:
  • Treat training for obedience commands (sit, here, heel)
  • Treat training for casting (to a platform or targets)
  • Nature walks
  • Play retrieves
  • Introduction to a leash
  • Introduction to water
  • Introduction to birds (careful here with mouth issues and still want them crazy about bumpers)
  • Puppy doubles
  • Introducing whistle commands
  • Introduction to a tie out
  • Introduction to other dogs
  • Recall across water (I use a swimby pond drill Mike Osteen showed me)

Reactions: Vance_kaz

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Introduce gunshots
Introduce steadiness, At feeding time make the pup sit and wait to be released to eat. I use the command "Kennel" to release so it preps the pup for that too.

The big one is introduce crapping outside.

Reactions: barry581

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For introducing to steadiness, I am also doing the same thing with going out doors and her kennel.
Forgot to list gunfire and house training.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Waiting for permission rather than charging through any open door. My dog is better at remembering it than I am at enforcing it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Jackie Mertens video is great for puppy pre basics and basics. I also highly recommend Hillmann’s Training A Retriever Puppy. Both lay a great foundation for advanced work

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
recall over barriers and retrieves across multiple changes of ground type (gravel to grass, etc) and small barriers like smaller logs.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
How about biting the hand leads to gagging on a thumb down the throat.

Reactions: ripline

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
One of the primary things I focus on with pups is helping them understand that they can make good things happen if they sit down and shut up. Food, affection, going through doors, out of the crate, out of the kennel run, etc. Nothing good happens when they are excited and jumping around (except when I am intentionally getting them into that state), ESPECIALLY affection. I have to train all the people in our circle that you can't pet the dogs until they sit calmly. It's usually harder to train the humans.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I start pile work very early if the pup has a lot of drive as early as 9 weeks, teach the pile at 10yds,15 20, 40, 60,80,100, 150,200. I like 2 different piles almost opposite directions they learn BACK as a release under very little pressure. Then the next week I ad logs, pipes , haybales when they are big enough, mow strips at angles 2 different directions. Read your dog, stop before they lose interest, you can repeat this twice a day, its a baby pattern blind that you can't handle on. Use it that way, after the blind throw a mark away from the line, then repeat the blind. Jim and Mike both said that I needed 3 dogs to keep from wearing the pads off a good one. This drill also wears them down for easier lead training. Reflecting back I really think that the pups learn to go longer at a earlier age with more confidence by teaching these basic piles which I feel is a great think to be able to compete in Trials today.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I start pile work very early if the pup has a lot of drive as early as 9 weeks, teach the pile at 10yds,15 20, 40, 60,80,100, 150,200. I like 2 different piles almost opposite directions they learn BACK as a release under very little pressure. Then the next week I ad logs, pipes , haybales when they are big enough, mow strips at angles 2 different directions. Read your dog, stop before they lose interest, you can repeat this twice a day, its a baby pattern blind that you can't handle on. Use it that way, after the blind throw a mark away from the line, then repeat the blind. Jim and Mike both said that I needed 3 dogs to keep from wearing the pads off a good one. This drill also wears them down for easier lead training. Reflecting back I really think that the pups learn to go longer at a earlier age with more confidence by teaching these basic piles which I feel is a great think to be able to compete in Trials today.
I did very similar to this with Oakley. Drive has never been her issue. Judges always think she was going to break on blinds when I say dead bird.

Did you do anything at a young age to work on tight sits? I did a little fun bumper drill teaching my son's dog as a puppy. I think it helped a lot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Awesome advice. When it comes to boards or training mats it seems some use them some don’t. Should this be part of the training plan?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Awesome advice. When it comes to boards or training mats it seems some use them some don’t. Should this be part of the training plan?
No downside to teaching the “place“ command.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Bubba no I had one that was loopy to the right and one that was loopy to the left mainly because they ran so hard on the initial send and could line much further than most IE puppy lining drill!
The second whistle sits were always much better, but you better understand how to play pool on a crooked table!
CB

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bubba no I had one that was loopy to the right and one that was loopy to the left mainly because they ran so hard on the initial send and could line much further than most IE puppy lining drill!
The second whistle sits were always much better, but you better understand how to play pool on a crooked table!
CB
I feel your pain. Both my trial dogs line really well and often the first sit is loopy right. Makes for a challenge on a left handed blind, but I love those right handed blinds.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Just talking about this with a friend.
Teach quiet from day one.
Kids can quickly erase any training you do, don' let them play with the pup when you are not supervising.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I like this idea and messed with it alittle with my last pup but my big question is once pup starts getting marks on a daily basis how much do you go back to this drill? Once a day? Until the official start of pile work

·
Registered
863 Posts
Part of the daily routine!
Marks and blinds then blinds and Marks !!
Singles every third setup for life!!!!
I know that the force to pile work is so much better when they have already been to the pile a 1000 times without pressure.
Not all dogs are ready for this type of training so read your dog!!!
You are building a pattern blind field, you will go back to it often when teaching new concepts or reinforcing old ones.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts