RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of the water setups we ran for our 9 month old pups (give or take a month either way for a few) today. The marks were shot as a double. After retrieving the first mark and returning to heel I shot a reminder mark with bird-in-mouth then sent for the long mark.

The pictures are of Jack...a young pup I have shown here before. Jack, as well as the 5 others run on this setup, have been trained here at Tremblin Earth Kennels since they were 8 weeks old.

Jack is demonstrating nice water skills in this setup. No cheating the cut-the-corner mark, nice angle exit and re-entry, then a nice channel behind the short gun, exit and re-entry, then down another channel, through lily pads, and to the bird.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Nice set up, wish we had that kind of set up. Why did you shoot a reminder mark if the mark was already thrown?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Nice place. Good work!!!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Nice set up, wish we had that kind of set up. Why did you shoot a reminder mark if the mark was already thrown?
I won't answer for Keith but when I am teaching doubles and especially with factors, I don't want the dog confused or hunting on the mark. I want them going right to it and in a straight line. I think the bird in mouth reminds the dog (especially young ones) exactly where the mark is, and makes the dog concentrate on the AOF and go straight to it and minimizes the factors.
JMHO
MP

·
Registered
516 Posts
With all the corners, angles, and channels, I assume the pups have been through swim-by and de-cheating drills. Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With all the corners, angles, and channels, I assume the pups have been through swim-by and de-cheating drills. Is that correct?

Yes...and, these pups have plenty of experience with channels, re-entries, etc as single marks. This is the first time I have put together their lessons that have been taught individually into a double marking scenario.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Nice pre-derby water double. It would be easy to hunt that land behind the go bird instead of angling in to the to the long bird. Having it big and visible there gives confidence. Successful repetition of a hard concept on an easyish setup.

<<< Jack looks just like his mom.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would be easy to hunt that land behind the go bird instead of angling in to the to the long bird.
To add a little to the complexity they had just previously run another double (a true double...no reminder mark) from the opposing angle (think top right corner back into the channel where Jack is first entering to cut the corner) and a mark across the other channel thrown in the heavy cover to the left of the channel. The wind was blowing from left to right. By doing this they had to cross the lines they had run previously and not get sucked in to the old fall areas.

The lily pads also hold scent and have a bunch of white flowers now...can be challenging for some young pups.

I am happy with where jack is now!~Just staring field doubles on concept marking and he is executing the work properly thus far...and his attitude is good/getting better daily with the challenges and success he is finding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts