RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get a 8month old puppy that retrieves heels and sits just fine when alone to do it when another dog is around? I took her to a public park for the first time yesterday where I was thowing bumpers but then there was people kept calling my dog on the other side of the pond and making noise distracting her so she would run torwards them.? Is it time to use the e collar on her or what methods would you use to break this?

·
Registered
530 Posts
What are your plans for this dog? Irregardless all training starts with basic obediance, so it's time you get started.

As far as the E-collar is concerned ,simply using it as a corrective tool isn't the best plan.
So think about training the correct behavior instead of breaking the wrong behavior.

Bert

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basic waterfowl hunting dog. Sit heel stay here ect. My 3 1/2 yr old golden has no problems but the people at the park where throwing sticks at 8mo old dog yelling and trying to get the dog to come to them. This was her first time around public since where I hunt in Oregon is strictly on public and private land without another hunter in sight. she just wont pay attention when there is other people yelling at her and distracting her.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Wherever she is in her training, it was kind of unfair to expect her to ignore having sticks thrown at her and being called by the other people at the park. A dog can learn to handle that kind of distraction, but it takes some practice. Don't pull out your e-collar just because of what happened yesterday at the park.

If you want to get her working in public, start out on a leash and just spend some time doing obedience at the park: heel, stay, fetch (as in pile work.) When she can perform these things with distraction, take your long line: practice some long sits and downs with her at the end of the rope, then try some marks and see how she does. Work your way up to it.

If you use an e-collar in your training, start using it at the appropriate time. And check your local leash laws... our little town used to be pretty relaxed about dogs off leash at the local parks when training. The animal control officer came by recently and told me they are stepping up enforcement and will be ticketing anyone with an off leash dog, even if they are under control.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Yes OB is important but remember she is a PUPPY and you for the first time took her to a completely new environment with complete set of new distractions. She wanted to have fun and be curious which puppies do. Put a long check cord on her

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes OB is important but remember she is a PUPPY and you for the first time took her to a completely new environment with complete set of new distractions. She wanted to have fun and be curious which puppies do. Put a long check cord on her
^this. Exactly this.

Just let her run around and be a puppy. She's young ad you introduced a whole new set of surroundings. Let her get used to them on her time, then start working with her. Let her sniff the daisies once or twice. The may smell different over there then they do at your house.

·
Registered
691 Posts
How do you get what you're looking for?

Baby steps. LOTS and LOTS of baby steps.

I have a large cement patio in the back yard. With the last pup, we'd work there on obedience every day. Yet, move that same lesson to the front driveway, thirty feet away, and it's almost like starting over. So we work in the driveway when it's quiet. Then when it's busier. Then when a dog is walking by. etc.

It's about repetition of the right stuff, slowly adding distractions and changes of environment. The weather is getting better, days are getting longer, and we're starting up some picnic tests for our club. I heard a lot of comments about, "my dog has been doing this great, and we come out here and now he's nuts!". "Out here" is an environment with fifty dogs, shot flyers, calls, and lots of people. Sure they go nuts.

Just stick with a good basic program, add little bits at a time, and know that when your dog goes nuts in the new environment or with new stimulus, you need to fall back on the basic tools you've instilled.

And as already stated, don't forget your dog is still just a pup. Be very cautious about trying to use a collar to teach (and doing something the dog already knows, but in a new environment IS teaching. You're teaching them they have to exhibit the same behaviour despite the distractions.)

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot guys took the puppy to another park today with the check leed and let her stare down some ducks once she burned some energy off I started on her obedience and she is doing much better. Will be doing this every morning before I go to work and go to a different park.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts