RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one pup out of a litter of 4 that doesn't have his eyes open yet (they are 13 days old) and the other 3 pups have had theirs open for close to three days now. I know that it is still early, but I figured they would all open about the same time. This male pup was the first one born too. Is there anything that I should be doing other than be more patient? Has anyone else had a pup that had their eyes open much later than the rest of the litter?
They are all healthy and eating well. There doesn't appear to be any swelling or dishcharge out of his eyes either. They look normal other than being closed.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I had one in a litter a couple years ago that didn't open until day 18 (~4 days behind the others). You may want to try a moist/warm compress but don't do anything to force them open. He may just not be ready yet.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had a pup out of the last litter whose eyes did not open with the others. They actually were stuck shut. Do not force them open. Just apply moist, warm compresses. They may appear pretty gunky when they first open. Try to avoid really going after that stuff. Gently wipe away what you can. They probably will continue to open slowly but eventually will. At least that was my experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts