RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if it is true that a purebred Lab might sometimes have white toes or a small white patch on the chest? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
yes.....do a search for "bolo"

FOM

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Actually, /paul's new dog has a bit more than just white toes.

Mostly Lab regards

Bubba

·
Registered
987 Posts
I believe it is acceptable under the breed standard --if you've ever seen Wolters' "The Labrador Retriever: Its History Its People" you would also know about St. John's Waterdogs which Labs apparently originate from -- the pictures that Wolters includes of these St. John's Waterdogs show a black dog with a white mark on chest and white toes -- this could explain where this comes from

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
The white spot on the chest is acceptable but not desirable under the standard. White feet are not acceptable although "Bolo" spots (a white spot on the underside of the foot or pastern) apparently have a long tradition among some of the best hunting lines.

I was surprised in a recent litter by Gates out of my yellow female (granddaughter of Mister Independence, Ms Chief, Cropper, etc) when 4/6 blacks in the litter had Bolo spots on either one or both front paws. From the discussion on this list about Bolo spots, I understand that Super Powder is one of the sources and he shows up on both sides of the pedigree. Fortunately the spots are very small and cute when you notice them while the dog is running (one of the pups should have been called "Flash"). They only showed up when the pups were six weeks old. I decided I love the ones on the bitch I kept.

Update: The link on this discussion on RTF doesn't show up in search but it is:
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40879&highlight=mismark+bolo

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Bubba said:
Actually, /paul's new dog has a bit more than just white toes.

Mostly Lab regards

Bubba
Oh man that brings back memories. Great dogs, BC's. Used to have 10 of them. By the way, could you spank your monkey for him riding my dog like a pony?

/Paul

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I researched Lean Mac's pedigree. Banchery Bolo and a couple of other Banchery kennel dogs are in his background. I have seen several dogs with LM in the pedigree and which also have the bolo marks and some white in other places. Perhaps he also throws that trait along with his talent?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
White toes

I've had lots of "bolos" (reflector strips on the back underside of the paw.)

I had one small "star" on the chest from completely black parents.

I had one litter with a lot of white, one toe on one pup, a couple on another. The stud owner knew it was possible before hand. Nice dogs, too.

I had one "splash mark" on a yellow pup.

It happens, nothing to do with "pure bred."

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Once told that an old English wives tale says that 'white' on chest, regardless of the color of the dog, produces the best hunters.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Lean Mac, Hattie McBunn, Call Me Mr Independence, NFC Cropper, Honcho, Super Chief,and Super Powder, among many others, all trace back to CH Banchery Bolo. That means that many if not most of the best field champion lines are likely to produce flashy white feet. Once I researched it, it was clear that my litter received the gene from all sides. Given the other things that came with those lines, call me proud to be Bolo. I love my little Gates daughter. There's fire in those feet!

·
Registered
414 Posts
What resource do y'all use to search pedigrees that far back? I'd be interested in learning more about my pups ancient roots.

DH

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My dog's father has a dime-sized white spot on his chest. Didn't stop him from being #1 in the country and winning Breed at the National...twice. My dog also has the same dime-sized white spot on his chest, and recently threw a puppy with a white back foot! (Cute...luckily just a pet puppy)
Oh, but these are goldens not labs :)
Same deal though, small white markings are common and not a problem at all.
--Anney

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Super Power and Super Chief , through Shed of Arden, are also connected to Banchery Bolo...it is back so many generations that you would not think that the influence would still show up...

·
Registered
275 Posts
My Yellow Lab Female has a small white diamond on her chest, comes from her grandfather. Funny thing is that it didn't become distinct untill she was about 6 months old.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Graham has some huge bolos! They almost glow in the dark!! :wink:

Andy

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a litter of 10 pups out of FC AFC Skybusters Rapid Fire. 3 of the 10 had a small white streak on the chest. I was told that FC AFC SkyWatch Radar carried that trait.

·
Registered
606 Posts
i have had a golden or two with white on its chest. I also had a golden with a black patch. he was a pet who lived in NYC, and went to work with his owner , he met soo many people over the questions about the black patch. Maria

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I had a litter out of FC Regi and some of the pups had white on their feet/toes. The yellows seemed to have more white on their feet than the blacks. I heard it was a Lean Mac or Code Blue thing but don't quote me! :D

Carrie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts