RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let you guys know they have been great so far-
Gibbs started not being able to keep food down Sunday, spent the night in the ER Tuesday, and back Friday. He is tons better, we think it was hair that caused the problem, and the barium pushed it though, with fluids.
Anyway, I submitted the initial bill Thursday, they had it processed by the end of the day. the check is on its way! I had never made a claim, so send 3 different incidents, and they just figured it out. I am so glad I got the insurance, as I can rebuilt my meager savings- It was a 1000.00 week, but I feel like I was lucky, as we did not have to open him up.
I had to call to get a log in problem fixed, and they were so nice, great customer service too!
Just my experience!
:D

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I have two of mine insured with Purina Care, and I'm about to do a 3rd after all the hassles I have had with Pet Plan. I'll NEVER go to Pet Plan again.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pet Plan is not worth it- so when your lawyer self cancels, let me know how and I am canceling Carbons and switching him to Purina-
Thanks!!
Demi

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I have been with Pet Plan since 2009. I have submitted multiple claims and never had an issue with Pet Plan. They have been nothing but great for me and my dogs.

Ted

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Demi can you give me a ballpark on the premium for Purina? i.e. monthly cost or whatever? Have never had pet insurance but leaning toward it. (will it work retroactively on ear hematomas??? LOL)

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
The Perils of Pet Plan

Pet Plan has an unwritten rule book that they pull out when your claims get high. I have had to write to the Dept of Insurance numerous times and my last claim ended with me telling them I was going to sue them for bad faith after I told them that I was positive they wished my dog were dead.

Be careful of your history, as "coursing" to them even means field trials and hunt tests and they will deny your claim. It is NOT just lure coursing.

If you have a surgical procedure done, and decide to have your dog's teeth cleaned at the same time to avoid another anesthestic exposure, you will only be reimbursed 50% - they will ding you for trying to be efficient.

They brag how much the vets love them, and that's because Pet Plan now REQUIRES paid receipts - so it's no longer an "insurance" policy it's a reimbursement policy. (My policy is old) This defeats the purpose of having the insurance if you have to come up with the $____ to pay for the procedure. Their loyalty is NOT to the policy holder. It's to the vet. Pet insurance is property insurance. If your house burns down, you are not required to pay to build your house back and wait for the carrier to pay you back. That's just stupid.

They will claim they called your vet for info, but the vet has no knowledge or record of it. And, they can't come up with the name of hte person they talked to, only a "receptionist" of which your vet doesn't employ anyone with that title.

They say they have a quick turn around, but they don't. The adjusters process, and are required to process, 100 claims per day.

so, while Ted's experience is a fairy tale, mine has been the exact opposite. So maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones, but you may not be. There are other companies out there that won't make me sue them for breach of contract and bad faith one day.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Pet Plan is not worth it- so when your lawyer self cancels, let me know how and I am canceling Carbons and switching him to Purina-
Thanks!!
Demi
Just make the application to Purina. Get your coverage going. you wil need to send them your vet records, and they require a physical from your vet. make sure the vet notes specific things such as knees being intact etc.

Purina care will send you the list of exclusions, and you can see if it's worth it. I had one exclusion, and it was only for 6 months. I updated the records and it was gone!

Once your policy is enforce, just write CANCEL across your pet plan policy. And in my case, something rude underneath the "cancel.":D

Jeff Telander also had a great experience with another policy. They paid out very well on a surgical dog with rehab.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Is the coverage similar? I have Petplan fast and easy to work with. No problems at all! But I am about to insure my new pup and need to research. I'm actually getting him signed up today.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I have been with Pet Plan since 2009. I have submitted multiple claims and never had an issue with Pet Plan. They have been nothing but great for me and my dogs.

Ted
Did they ask your occupation when you signed up? :)

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
If a 4 month old Golden Retriever swimming in a pool is "abuse" then I don't even want to know what you all are doing to your dogs to have to purchase insurance for them....

/Paul

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The Perils of Pet Plan

Pet Plan has an unwritten rule book that they pull out when your claims get high. I have had to write to the Dept of Insurance numerous times and my last claim ended with me telling them I was going to sue them for bad faith after I told them that I was positive they wished my dog were dead.

Be careful of your history, as "coursing" to them even means field trials and hunt tests and they will deny your claim. It is NOT just lure coursing.

If you have a surgical procedure done, and decide to have your dog's teeth cleaned at the same time to avoid another anesthestic exposure, you will only be reimbursed 50% - they will ding you for trying to be efficient.

They brag how much the vets love them, and that's because Pet Plan now REQUIRES paid receipts - so it's no longer an "insurance" policy it's a reimbursement policy. (My policy is old) This defeats the purpose of having the insurance if you have to come up with the $____ to pay for the procedure. Their loyalty is NOT to the policy holder. It's to the vet. Pet insurance is property insurance. If your house burns down, you are not required to pay to build your house back and wait for the carrier to pay you back. That's just stupid.

They will claim they called your vet for info, but the vet has no knowledge or record of it. And, they can't come up with the name of hte person they talked to, only a "receptionist" of which your vet doesn't employ anyone with that title.

They say they have a quick turn around, but they don't. The adjusters process, and are required to process, 100 claims per day.

so, while Ted's experience is a fairy tale, mine has been the exact opposite. So maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones, but you may not be. There are other companies out there that won't make me sue them for breach of contract and bad faith one day.
I looked all through the Purina Web site and cannot find out if they cover TPLO surgery... Do you know?

·
Registered
6,461 Posts

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I'm addition to covering TPLO does Purina cover several months of 24/7 professional rehab at an ortho vets rehab facility?

I gave a dog away last week to a pet home and want new owners to buy insurance to cover first class care if needed including rehab.
Which way do I steer them?

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I'm addition to covering TPLO does Purina cover several months of 24/7 professional rehab at an ortho vets rehab facility?

I gave a dog away last week to a pet home and want new owners to buy insurance to cover first class care if needed including rehab.
Which way do I steer them?
They do cover rehab at a licensed vet facility and when the vet says it's medically needed. They will cover the boarding as long as it's medically ncessary and your vet has documented same. They won't cover the boarding if it's a "convenience" ie: drop fido off in the a.m. He gets his rehab, and you come back at night and the vet charges a day boarding fee.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Jeff Telander also had a great experience with another policy. They paid out very well on a surgical dog with rehab.
That would be Pets Best Insurance. They paid $14,000.00 of Sinner's medical expenses in 2010, including surgery, stem cell therapy, MRI, and 12 weeks of in-house rehab at VOSM.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
OK, thanks. I insisted, if anything were ever to happen to the dog, that the new owners use the same facility where Jeff had Sinner worked on. I'll tell them about Pets Best Insurance.
At VOSM in MD they offer 24/7 rehab where you leave your dog for the duration if you want.

·
Registered
792 Posts
from reading both websites it seems like there isnt a "human" version of pet insurance?
what i mean by that is if i were to break my ACL i pay my deductible then a percentage (coinsurance) of the rest of the bill up to my maximum out of pocket limit. where as the pet insurance seems like you pay it all then get reimbursed at a later point?

so no vet has approval from insurance company in that they can do all the work up front and get paid from insurance company? its up to you the owner of the dog to go through the insurance company rather than the doctor like in human health insurance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I concur with Ted. I have had Petplan on both of my dogs for almost a year. I have had one claim. I sent in the 2 years of vet records and they processed the claim within a few days and the reimbursement was in the mailbox in a couple more days. I would love to never have to use the insurance but i feel comfortable with Petplan going forward based on how they have performed over the past year and with the one claim I have submitted.

John

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For Gibbs it is 31 and some change, he is a year, and for Carbon, it will be 41 as he is 6, and they won't cover his thyroid.
Pet Plan is not quite as easy to deal with, but cheaper.

Demi

1 - 20 of 27 Posts