RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 25 mallards in a pen--they are mature birds. I've got 8 more younger mallards that are in a seperate smaller pen--they are pretty good sized now but still shy of a year old. At what point can I put them together without worrying about the young birds being killed? TIA

·
Registered
484 Posts
A lot of what you are asking depends on the size of the pen you are adding birds to. Another thing that will affect the outcome is what is your male to female ratio? Just a guess but I would have a pen big enough to give each bird at least 2 square feet. Also keep your drakes down to a minimum.
Dave

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The solution is to call me;):D! I will bring my dogs and shotgun and by the end of the training day you won't have to worry about the feathered poop machines anymore. Simply store them in your freezer until the next training day.:cool:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say I have 2 hens to every drake. The 8 younger birds only has one drake in the bunch. The mature birds are in a 10x10 run and seem to have plenty of room. I keep them well fed so there isin't much fighting over food or water. Mark, come up and train some time and well pop a few of them. They cost as much to feed as my freaking dogs it seems. Are you sure your dogs need a flyer? Lord knows mine doesn't, haha.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
My dogs do NOT need flyers. What they need is to honor 33 shot flyers;). It is all I can do to keep them from breaking into the pen with the 5 ducks I have now. The dogs are hot and bored. Rose, Annie and El all found a way into the duck pen last week. Rose and Annie brought me a duck each. El ran off with her duck, dragging it by the head. Eventually it escaped but was apprehended by Rose. I fixed the hole but it is just a matter of time until the great duck raid is reenacted.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I wait until birds are feathered out completely before putting them in with the others, never had an issue with pecking with ducks, still if you have a bunch of hens, they'll end up taking over the males.

Another Solution Only keep one live duck, call-name MEAT. Throw, shoot, miss and re-use, until a dog accidentally crunches then make offending owner purchase (Meat 2) call-name BEEF, just hope you don't have a habitual crunching dog. I hate to have to purchase BEEF, VEAL, SHRIMP and LOBSTER at one sitting ;)

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I've got about 25 mallards in a pen--they are mature birds. I've got 8 more younger mallards that are in a seperate smaller pen--they are pretty good sized now but still shy of a year old. At what point can I put them together without worrying about the young birds being killed? TIA

http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-do-we-know-pekins-originate-from.html

The maturation rate of Mallards and domestic ducks is very similar. Both can lay their first eggs at about 20 weeks of age.
In commercial breeder operations the ratio of males to females is also very similar - about five females to every male to maintain peak fertility.
Both Mallards and domestic ducks achieve mature body weight by about 12 weeks of age when both their primary and secondary wing feathers are mature.
A year is a long time to wait to shoot a mallard as a FLYER;-)

john

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For a while I kept having one or two out everyday. The only dog I had at the time was my little 9 week old dizzy--she put a whoopin on 8 or 10 of them. Not once did one of them get away from her. Now that rowdy is back his first move every morning is out to the bird pen--it is driving that dog nuts. Were going to have to invite others to this training day--if its just me and you with our dogs there won't be much bird fetching taking place.
My dogs do NOT need flyers. What they need is to honor 33 shot flyers;). It is all I can do to keep them from breaking into the pen with the 5 ducks I have now. The dogs are hot and bored. Rose, Annie and El all found a way into the duck pen last week. Rose and Annie brought me a duck each. El ran off with her duck, dragging it by the head. Eventually it escaped but was apprehended by Rose. I fixed the hole but it is just a matter of time until the great duck raid is reenacted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts