RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are wanting to reintroduce quail in to an area that previously held lots of quail but for various reasons have been all but wiped out. Of course we will seek advice from the ODWC but wondered if anyone on this forum has had any experience with what types of recall pens, feeds, etc. worked or didn't work for them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I bet the local Quail Unlimited chapter would be very helpful.

·
Registered
195 Posts
May be able to help you out Patrick, we met with local ODWC 2 weeks ago about doing a project on area land. www.greencountryqf.org

Carl Brown

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Used to keep a couple of johnny pens anda few dozen birds back in my bird dog days. Fed whatever "quail chow" the feed store sold, never had a problem with that. Don't know where you are located, but my biggest challenge was keeping the darned raccoons out. I eventually lost that battle and gave up. Friends of mine who have tried to reintroduce quail on their farms here in Tx say their biggest challenge to nesting are the fire ants (plus every known predator from ***** to coyotes to snakes). QU and our TxP&W Department go a long way in trying to help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Patrick,

There used to be a guy (he may still be in business) around Kilgore, Texas that had the best flight conditioned bobs I ever saw. His operation was top notch. Flight pens were visually screened and feed by automatic feed hoppers so birds didn’t get used to seeing humans. He maintained that his birds never were less that 1/16th wild. Said he got his wild birds from the King Ranch. They certainly weren't the average puny pen birds.

Richard

·
Registered
190 Posts
Restocking quail, for the most part has been largely unsuccessful. It doesn't matter how well flight conditioned the birds are, pen raised birds simply don't survive. There is a product on the market now that supposedly makes it much more feasible.

http://www.quailrestoration.com/surrogator.html

I have heard from people on other boards that the Surrogator is working quite well with a few conditions.

1) Habitat restoration to prime quail habitat. Lots of forbes, seed grasses, and edge cover.

2) Proper varmint and predator control.

The two steps above are vital for quail survival whether they are wild or liberated. There is also a recently published book by Texas A&M's Team Quail and a lot of habitat information on this site.

http://teamquail.tamu.edu/

Will

·
Registered
252 Posts
El General said:
Restocking quail, for the most part has been largely unsuccessful. It doesn't matter how well flight conditioned the birds are, pen raised birds simply don't survive. There is a product on the market now that supposedly makes it much more feasible.

http://www.quailrestoration.com/surrogator.html

I have heard from people on other boards that the Surrogator is working quite well with a few conditions.

1) Habitat restoration to prime quail habitat. Lots of forbes, seed grasses, and edge cover.

2) Proper varmint and predator control.

The two steps above are vital for quail survival whether they are wild or liberated. There is also a recently published book by Texas A&M's Team Quail and a lot of habitat information on this site.

http://teamquail.tamu.edu/

Will
Patrick:

Will is correct. Introductions of "pen raised" quail have by and large been unsuccessful. On top of the "whole lot of money and effort for nothing" concerns, there are also huge concerns over introduced birds watering down the gene pool of any truly wild birds there might be. Birds in each region specialize for the conditions which are present for that area (ie what it takes to survive in S. Texas might be totally different from NE OK.

Quail are extremely sensitive to habitat degredation. This is the reason quail are disappearing from much of the southeast. It's not predators, it's not over hunting....... it's habitat loss. The introduction of any quail is a waste of effort until you get habitat right. This is where you local private lands biologist (OKDNR) can help you get started. Native warm season grasses, scattered brush, "unclean" fence rows, and most importantly regular disturbance (ie fire) are required to have quail. Quail need a large % of bare ground which can only be maintained through fire or intensive disking.

Using something like the Surrogator is not reintroduction of quail. It's a put and take situation. If you use one check your local laws (remember Texas allows ANYTHING...others don't). You may well need to designate the area as a shooting preserve(and pay for the preserve lisc.).

John
________
New mexico dispensary

·
Registered
190 Posts
Using something like the Surrogator is not reintroduction of quail. It's a put and take situation. If you use one check your local laws (remember Texas allows ANYTHING...others don't). You may well need to designate the area as a shooting preserve(and pay for the preserve lisc.).
John,

You know a hell of a lot more about this than I do, but. . .

There is evidence that surviving quail from the Surrogator are reproducing, so I think it has the ability to help a restocking program. I would order the free DVD they offer. It has some very interesting information,

There is a guy named Pete Price in Ada, OK that I think has a surrogator. He raises quail and runs guided hunts. Send me a pm if you want his contact info. I think I can dig it up.

There is also a gentleman that refers to himself as cockbird on the Shooting Sportsman board. He knows more about quail habitat and science than anyone else I have ever ran across.

http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/index.php?sid=4cf9a283fdae3392c02212da053df27d

·
Registered
252 Posts
El General said:
There is evidence that surviving quail from the Surrogator are reproducing, so I think it has the ability to help a restocking program. I would order the free DVD they offer. It has some very interesting information,
I have seen the Surrogator DVD. I am sure there are cases of it working on a very limited basis...but you have to remember the guys making the DVD are selling something.

From a private message from Patrick, they have multiple covies of wild birds on the property. I think there is significant risk of watering down the gene pool by putting these pen raised birds out with wild birds. What if they don't have the disease resistance that the wild birds have (as multiple generations have been raised in basically disease free pens). Tulsa is a relatively drought prone area. What if the introduces birds are from Georgia populations which get 3-4x more rainfall. And so on and so on......

In spite of what folks say on the internet and on videos, to my knowledge, there is NO published scientific evidence that stocking "pen raised" quail will provide a long term viable population. We proved that pen raised turkeys without question would not survive long term.

John
________
LovelyWendie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts