RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it OK to have your live ducks close by your kennels. I'm thinking of moving my pen up on the concrete slab that my kennels are on. the slab has a drain in it and if I put the pen near or over the drain ,it would be about 8 or 10 feet from the fronts of my runs. Are there potential health problems from keeping the ducks this close? The wash down from the kennels would come towards the ducks but the duck stuff would not wash towards the dogs. Also would the scent and sound from the ducks cause any problems ? I saw a really neat duck pen today with the ducks up off the ground on a wooden platform, was thinking this would work better than the way I have it now which is on pavers and just washes out into the yard. The pen is currently about 40-50 feet from the closest kennel.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Be prepared for tons of flies. I have never had a problem with flies around the house or kennels until that one year that I raised a pen of 25 ducks. Dogs were being pestered and you couldn't open a door without letting in a dozen. Mine were on large decorative type white rock that was hosed off daily (sometimes multiple times) and they had a baby pool to swim in. The pool would be covered in an oil slick within 24 hrs and the water would reek!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, my yard stays wet and smelly around the pen now, I'm only keeping 10-20 ducks at a time now. That's why I'm thinking about moving it up on the slab which has it's own septic system for the washdown from the runs. I'm just not sure if it's a good idea to have them that close to the dogs all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts