RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I get my pup tested for PRA and RD/OSD, will I still need to have her eyes CERF later on if I decide to breed her in a couple of years?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yes. A CERF exams checks for cataracts and a gazillion other potential hereditary and non-hereditary eye conditions not covered by the prcd-PRA/RD-OSD tests. Personally, I do at least one CERF eye exam AND hip/elbow xrays before running the dna tests because it's so cheap to do, and if there is some other serious genetic thing going on that rules the dog out for breeding I won't really care if the dog is a carrier for PRA or RD. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
If I get my pup tested for PRA and RD/OSD, will I still need to have her eyes CERF later on if I decide to breed her in a couple of years?

Thanks,
Dan
Yes. There are a couple more forms of RD/Folds that currently there are not genetic tests for plus cataracts and eyelids issues to name a few more things.

WRL

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I found out that Optigen is going to have their discount days sometime next month and I will decide if I want to have it done then or to just wait until later on.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
dunno about other breeds, but goldens that are being bred get CERF'd annually.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I kind of like the Kennel Clubs Approved Breeder program. Breeding pair MUST have CERF done within 18 months prior to registering litter, or the litter doesn't get registered as an Approved breeding. Can still be registered without that designation, but just one more easy way for buyers to narrow down litters based on their own comfort level in regards to purchasing their next pup.

One other thing to consider: All you that are currently doing CERF exams- they (Optigen) are looking for samples from dogs that DO NOT pass due to certain types of cataracts found during CERF exams. Many ACVO do not know that they are currently working on a DNA test for the triangular type of cataract commonly found in young (under age 4) dogs during exams, so they do not tell their patients/clients that samples (usually blood or cheek swabs) are needed to help them with finding the necessary genes so that they can quickly come up with a test. If you have a dog that didn't pass, please consider donating a sample for this research. Page with more information can be found here:
http://optigen.com/opt9_research.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts