RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting this series, I have a 7 1/2 week old BLM, & altho not my first time teaching obedience (& its been years now since I've formally done it), I remember some not all, so I need to watch some videos.

Anyway, I watched some youtube promos on Smartwork, but the dogs in the videos are already partially trained. Are partially trained puppies/ dogs mostly used in this series?

I am looking for a series that goes (yes, painfully) thru the basic obedience starting with an untrained puppy, so I can see how the mistakes are corrected.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It's a good series. Evan uses dogs at all stages.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I am considering getting this series, I have a 7 1/2 week old BLM, & altho not my first time teaching obedience (& its been years now since I've formally done it), I remember some not all, so I need to watch some videos.

Anyway, I watched some youtube promos on Smartwork, but the dogs in the videos are already partially trained. Are partially trained puppies/ dogs mostly used in this series?

I am looking for a series that goes (yes, painfully) thru the basic obedience starting with an untrained puppy, so I can see how the mistakes are corrected.

Thanks for reading.
Throughout the Smartwork series all the dogs shown being trained are at the level shown, not beyond. It's more valuable seeing them make the kind of mistakes and being corrected as yours will likely do.

Evan

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use Evan's program for my dog. It has worked very well. I did start my dog off using Bill Hillman's material. I used Bill's material until force fetch, then I moved into Evan's material. It worked well for my dog, but you have to remember that every dog is different. It may not be the case for yours. Evan's stuff is GREAT and has proved well with my dog. So has Bill's.

Just remember every dog is different. Learn how to read your dog...that is something that I am always learning...

-Dustin

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Hi Evan, thanks for replying.

Does your series start with a completely untrained puppy?
Yes. But understand that the Puppy Program isn't a journal of one puppy. The pups in it are there to demonstrate skill development, and each one is learning that skill for the first time. It's a training program that applies to retriever pups of all breeds, not just one pup. As I said before, no dog used in any of the video demos on our DVD's is pre-trained, or trained beyond the level shown.

Evan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts