RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search and can not find the answer to my question. I have a stainless steel Deerskin trailer and just got it uncovered from winter storage. Along the top there are black marks where I am guessing the tarp blew around in the wind this winter. What is the best way to remove the black marks? Here are 2 pictures of what I am talking about.

Thanks!!

Andy

·
Registered
40 Posts
From my experience, I can highly recommend Metal Wax (http://www.metalwax.com/index.htm). I have had very good luck using it for removing stains from my chassis mount dog box (aluminum and stainless steel). Buy a bottle of the green fluoride "Metal Cleaner" and the "Metal Wax". Information on cleaning various surfaces is available on the site (http://www.metalwax.com/Product Applications.htm).

I have had success using lacquer thinner to remove foreign material from the aluminum/stainless on my dog box but, if the metal itself is stained then Metal Wax is the answer. Prior to discovering Metal Wax, I tried lacquer thinner and 000 steel wool upon the advice of the dog box manufacturer but, it resulted in shiny areas that looked as bad as the previously stained areas. Completely polishing the stained area of your trailer with steel wool, to a uniform luster, will definitely require some elbow grease.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Andy
You may try some 000 steelwool as well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Metal Wax is a great product. As a Deerskin dealer I can promise it is the best I have ever used. The cleaner will remove the black, just don't let it run down the side unless you want to clean the whole trailer. Use the wax in very, very small amounts at a time as it does go a long way, washes off with soap and water.
________
Anal ebony

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody! :D Looks like I'll be placing an order with the Metal Wax company.

Sparkley clean trailer regards,

Andy

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I was noodling around on the seatch engines for Stainless cleaner and came across a recipe made out of 1/2 cup of tomato ketchup, 2 tablespoons of vinegar and 2 tbs of salt. Make a paste out of it and let it sit for 30-45 minutes. Rinse off. Something about the acids taking a layer of dirt and grime out without ruining the chemical makeup of the stainless.

I wouldn't try this without first trying it out on a piece that won't show like an inside door or something.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everybody for all of your suggestions. I called the Metal Wax company and they were great! Austin told me what I would need and is sending it right out - including instructions on how to do the job!! (Yes, I do read instructions :wink: )

It should be here next week and I will post an "after" picture after I am done.

Thanks again!! :D

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts