RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

moving back into retriever land after spending the last 15 years in the pointer world.

I picked up a solid field golden and in general things have been coming along pretty well considering the COVID situation.

He's 7 months old and although we have been doing short retrieves we have been really focused on the obedience side of the house.

He's been pretty confident to date. When I take him on walks in the field he is pretty inquisitive, walks through bushes, water etc. No real confidence issues and he likes to bully my senior GSP.

But... over the last two weeks I have noticed he has been getting more submissive.

I just got back from a formal obedience class where he:

1. Got all excited and peed twice.
2. While I was talking to the instructor about something he decided to roll on his back and move into the submissive position.
3. During a down stay when he started to get up, I said 'Ah Ah' and he decided to roll on his back.

The whole rolling on his back is a new one. I have really toned down the verbal correction in the hopes that he responds better.

The trainer says he is going through a growth phase and not to worry about it.

Just looking for a bit of group insight.

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
A lot of pups go through a fear stage around 7 months old. That may be what you are seeing.

Don’t give into it. Just carry on as normal, ignore the goofy behavior and hopefully he will grow out of it.

Meredith

·
Registered
444 Posts
Goldens are usually submissive, easily intimidated dogs, certainly compared to pointers. If they do the submissive peeing, they usually grow out of it.

Reactions: Tobias

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
It might be worth your while to check on your own performance.

Dogs as has been said, do go through "phases", but it may be he's picking up on your own anxiety in the formal class atmosphere. You voice and body posture are important tools and the dog will have already taken his measure of you. If you've changed to a more aggressive tone and intimidating stance, he'll find that upsetting. Worth thinking about?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts