RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals

I joined this forum awhile back and have been a creeper ever since. I read a LOT of threads on here that relate to dog training and a lot that relate to HT/FT, which I do not participate in. Here is what is going on with my pup, a 3 year old Australian Shepherd/Black Lab mix (adobted for the Iowa Animal Rescue League).

My pup is obiedence trained but seems to have a mind of her own occasionally. She knows come, heel, sit, stay, shake, and lay down - also down, like off the furniture or if she gets excited and jumps on someone (different issue all together).

So, here is what is going on. I recently moved into a house with a small back yard that is fenced in. Awesome, I don't have to take my pup out on a leash at all times. However, she has been ignoring the "come" command quite a bit lately and my fiance is getting very agitated with it. I believe it's worse when I haven't had time to take her to the lake to work or on walks, but it's irritating.

I bought an E-Collar training video from Scheels and am yet to watch it. I'm a bit reluctant at this point, but I feel like watching this video, maybe purchasing a CC video, and then a collar is the way to go. Just looking for your guys/gals advice.

Oh, she is a retrieving machine, enjoys dead ducks and will fetch them up in the backyard, but isn't the biggest fan of guns. I bought her prior to picking up hunting! Oh well, I love her like family!

Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
1) Start doing OB on a daily basis.
2) Buy a quality e-collar, put it on the dog and continue to work on OB. Leave the collar turned off and the transmitter at home.
3) Buy this and watch it. http://www.totalretriever.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=86
4) After the dog has been wearing the collar for awhile you can start with the CC.

Even if you think your dog is solid on OB, work on it daily until the dog is used to wearing the collar.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In what situations is she not coming? When let out in the backyard?

If she's not coming because she knows it's boring in the house, compared to the adventures in the backyard (especially common when people call dogs in to crate them before going to work).... an ecollar may change the behavior, but it will not get rid of the conflict.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will continue to work on OB continually, and have been again recently. Inside the house, she listens to every command, and most of the time when she is outside. However, it's been going down hill recently and I am looking to work through it.

Thank you for the opinions, I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Do what TCFarmer said, word for word.

Tri Tronics is the best collar in my opinion.

CC is a scary venture for everyone at first. It would be best if you could get someone with some experience to help you. You should still get the DVD. If you can't get a mentor you can do it alone. Just be sure you are doing things the dog already knows and that you have the dog under control. You will have to show the dog what you want it to do. Work on one thing at a time then add things as the dog shows you it understands. The DVD explains it all very good in a sequence.

If your dog listens at a "4" it will be at a "10" when you are done if you do it right.

If you do it right the dog will love the collar and when she sees you with it she will get excited. Much like seeing you with a leash. If you do it wrong she will not like the collar.

Use common sense, wear the collar on the dog for a week or so without using it. Put it on and take it off throughout the course of the day so she associates it with fun. Dogs are very resilient and you will be fine.

Good luck with your dog.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do what TCFarmer said, word for word.

Tri Tronics is the best collar in my opinion.

CC is a scary venture for everyone at first. It would be best if you could get someone with some experience to help you. You should still get the DVD. If you can't get a mentor you can do it alone. Just be sure you are doing things the dog already knows and that you have the dog under control. You will have to show the dog what you want it to do. Work on one thing at a time then add things as the dog shows you it understands. The DVD explains it all very good in a sequence.

If your dog listens at a "4" it will be at a "10" when you are done if you do it right.

If you do it right the dog will love the collar and when she sees you with it she will get excited. Much like seeing you with a leash. If you do it wrong she will not like the collar.

Use common sense, wear the collar on the dog for a week or so without using it. Put it on and take it off throughout the course of the day so she associates it with fun. Dogs are very resilient and you will be fine.

Good luck with your dog.
Thanks for the kind words. I am a little worried about diving into this, but I know my dog and I know she the commands she understands. When they are ignored, it is frustrating but she is a good dog and I love her to death!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
If you are a "little worried" that indicates you have the all important common sense...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I worked with my pup a little bit outside today, bumper and 50' rope for a lead and she did really well. I will still continue to work on OB and encourage my fiance, who has the most issues with Herky, my pup, not listening, to do so as well.

I went ahead and took your advice and ordered the Total E-Collar Conditioning video. I have been looking at some tri-tronics units and after reviewing on this forum, they look to be preferred but kinda spendy. I think I'll bite the bullet and pick one out here in the next week or so, unless someone has a used one they want to get rid of :)

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
There are bargains here sometimes.

Also you can try Collar Clinic.

·
Registered
134 Posts
IMO there's no question that having and using an e-collar, and following a proven training program is the best way to train and acheive a "finished"
dog, capable of competing in the FT/HT games.
Having said that, depending on your goals, if all you want is to get your dog to obey "here" off leash in your backyard, I'd buy a slingshot and some marbles, or slingshot ammo pellets. Practice a bit, and be loaded and ready to bust the dog in rear next time it ogmores you.
Very common for dogs to "learn" that they don't have to respond as well when they're not on leash. The slingshot is an extension of your control/reinforcement and may be all you need. Incidentally, when you said
you're seeing a gradual decline in the OB off leash, it's because every time it happens, the dog is reinforced NOT to obey. So, get the slingshot before you give the dog any more opportunities to disobey. You can always still get the e-collar mlater on if you decide to get more into the training. And the slingshot is still a handy tool to have in your arsenal when on a formal program.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is the ecollar really always going to be on her when she is in the yard?

Why not try some positive methods first, then decide if you need the ecollar. Practice calling her in from the yard, rewarding her with whatever her favorite treat is or high excitement play with a favorite toy, then let her go back out right away. Don't use the treat to lure her in. Wait until you know she is headed your way, then call her, then produce the hidden treat when she gets to you. Do this over and over, until she learns coming in from the yard is not the end of her fun. Then, start calling her when she is not headed into you. If she comes reward and release, if she doesn't then go round her up and lead her in, no reward. This is what I did with my young lab, she likes to spend time in the yard and was not coming immediately when called back to the house. She still comes in now even though she only gets a cookie maybe 1 time in 10. I have started using an ecollar on her for Hillman FF, but see no reason to make everything an ecollar issue.

I bet your fiance would rather give the dog a cookie than zap her.

Aussies are a breed apart. I've never known one that wasn't sound sensitive, so that may be where your dog gets her attitude to guns.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
781 Posts
There are bargains here sometimes.

Also you can try Collar Clinic.
Many folks trade in their e-collars and The Collar Clinic reconditions them and repackages for resale, complete with case and instruction manuals. These used units are as good as new at lower prices. They also stand behind their work and customer service is excellent. If I were in the market again, this would be a no-brainer. Check out their reconditioned units: http://www.collarclinic.com/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I knew that by asking the question I did in this forum that I would get some flack from a couple of members. It was expected and I was more than ready for it.

My dog is typically a great listener, I can have her off the leash down at the lake with others around and she'll stay close. She'll come when called, heel when told, etc.

I have been using positive reinforcement - I keep a bumper and toy near me at all times for when she comes, so I can reward her with that or with some good ole fashion lovin'. She gets treats occasionally when we are working on OB and she understands the command.

The reason I inquired about the e-collar was to take her ob, all of it, to the next level. By pointing out that she doesn't always come when called while in the backyard was just an example I used, and I apologize that I wasn't more forward with what I was looking to do. I am not simply looking to use the ecollar to train her to "come" when she is in the back yard. I want a well mannered dog (which she is) at all times and one I can trust when she is out wandering the fiance's family acreage or my parents acreage.

Thanks for the input thus far!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts