RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know that Chessie's are tested for long hair genes. Does anyone have a picture of a Chesapeake with two long coat genes?

Judging from what many Chesapeake coats I have seen throughout many decades look like, I would guess some of them have a long and short gene and some of them have two short coat genes. Can anyone tell me if my guess is correct?

Thanks for any info. I should tie this to retriever training so I have to say many of the descriptions I read of Chesapeake temperament remind me of some curly temperaments. There were a couple of curly/Chessie crosses in the late 1800s and the early 1900s. (And a chessie/Labrador cross in the UK early in the development of both breeds.)

· Registered
4,132 Posts
I didn't know that Chessie's are tested for long hair genes. Does anyone have a picture of a Chesapeake with two long coat genes?

Judging from what many Chesapeake coats I have seen throughout many decades look like, I would guess some of them have a long and short gene and some of them have two short coat genes. Can anyone tell me if my guess is correct?

Thanks for any info. I should tie this to retriever training so I have to say many of the descriptions I read of Chesapeake temperament remind me of some curly temperaments. There were a couple of curly/Chessie crosses in the late 1800s and the early 1900s. (And a chessie/Labrador cross in the UK early in the development of both breeds.)
According to some (not me) saying that a lab and chessie were cross bres in the early 1900s is not accurate. I would love to see the footnotes on it. :)

Chessies can have a long coat. Have not seen it personally but have heard of it and seen photos.

· Registered
870 Posts
A woman was breeding a chessie and lab cross in WI back in the late 80's maybe early 90's when I was playing in the hunt test world. Cute pups. she called the chessadors...
She got her panties all bound up when I told them they were actually Labapeakes...

· Registered
1,320 Posts
I have never seen a long coat in person, but thought I had a photo of one, although I cant find it. If memory is correct it was similar to a newfy coat which makes sense as they share some of the same ancestory in early development of the breeds. There is a genetic test for the long coat, but I do not remember ever hearing of a litter on the west coast ever producing a long coat pup.

· Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to some (not me) saying that a lab and chessie were cross bres in the early 1900s is not accurate. I would love to see the footnotes on it. :)

Chessies can have a long coat. Have not seen it personally but have heard of it and seen photos.
What did the photos look like? Did the dogs have curls?

Here's one Lab/Chessie cross:
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

And here is another Lab/Chessie cross:

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

I have seen more crosses listed in various articles. The crosses in these two pedigrees were done in the UK. Sure would love to see a picture of a chesapeake with two long coat genes.

· Registered
13,535 Posts
I do not know if it can still be found. I cannot find it. I purchased my first 4 Chesapeakes from Adrienne Bordo, Beantown Kennels in Quebec. On her website way back then she had photos of all our colors and coats. I am certain that I remember a long coat variation.
But this was twenty years ago.

· Registered
4,132 Posts
What did the photos look like? Did the dogs have curls?

Here's one Lab/Chessie cross: View attachment 91855

And here is another Lab/Chessie cross:

View attachment 91856

I have seen more crosses listed in various articles. The crosses in these two pedigrees were done in the UK. Sure would love to see a picture of a chesapeake with two long coat genes.
Regarding the cross breedings...the folks who have told me 'it ain't so' do not believe hlp.

Here is your long coat chessie :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts