RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

In an AKC Junior hunt test, is it acceptable to restrain the dog upon delivery (as in hold it by the

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• It Depends

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the answer go both ways with a variety of judges. What's your take?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Better get that bird in hand before you touch that pup in my neck of the woods, or it's have a nice trip home.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I agree with Thomas D. Once you've released your dog for the retrieve it's hands off until the bird is in hand & you're no longer under judgement.
M

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
What Tom D and Miriam said...

The collar can be held before releasing a dog to retrieve, or upon being excused from the line after delivering to hand.

Otherwise, you're training... :wink: !

Keith Griffith

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
No, no, no.

"Can't touch the dog at this jun-cture. Wouldn't be pru-dent. Not going to do it." -- George Bush, Sr. running his first Junior

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
All the junior judges I ever ran under reminded the handlers of this when the test dog ran. It's a good reminder too especially for a novice because it's tempting to praise the dog with a pat especially when it brings back the last bird, and I've seen this get people disqualified.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It is a no in our neck of the woods.. however, have seen them give one warning.. ok ok..it was me that got the warning.. that's why I know..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts