RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bag of pro plan salmon and rice last night at Petsmart. When I go to the pro plan website, the only salmon and rice dry food mentioned is the "Pro Plan Select"(in the white bag). Anybody know why the website doesn't offer any info on the pro plan salmon and rice (black bag)? I'm a little concerned I may have bought a bag of food that is about to be discontinued.

Thanks in advance any info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, that's it. Just got off the phone with pro plan, and they said thats prob what it was. Thanks for the link. Any experience with it for a lab?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I used to mix it with performance, just as a different protein source.(it's been a while) No complaints.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have one male who has always done very well on Pro Plan Salmon. Innova is too rich for him and Canidae changed their formula but the Pro Plan Salmon has worked well for him.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Great success with it. Very shiny coats, less shedding, good if your dog has allergy issues. I've been feeding it for three years now.

·
Registered
345 Posts
We feed it to one of the our females as she wasn't doing as well on performance. She is doing great on it. It is a pain to have multiple foods but she does do well so she will stay on it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I put my one year old on sensitive skin and stomach after she had what looked like psoriasis on both eagle pack puppy and eukanuba maintenance. i pooh-poohed all the talk about food allergies but her problem cleared right up, never reoccurred while on pro plan sensitive skin and stomach. i'm sold.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hogcity,
Why did you choose the Salmon formula Pro Plan? Does your dog need it?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I feed pro plan all life stages (chicken based). I have tried the sensitive skin formula (salmon based) on a lab with moderate skin issues which have stumped my vet for 4 years. Kept her on it for 3 months and did not notice any improvement so have her back on chicken based. Nothing wrong with it, just easier to have everyone eating the same food.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's been doing really well on blue buffalo salmon and rice, which has stopped the itchy paws and ears. Root of the problem was either chicken or gain, so we're trying to avoid both as much as possible. He'll be going to the trainer soon, and I was afraid the blue buffalo wouldn't have enough protein/fat. The pro plan has a little more protein/fat 26/16. The only other thing i found comparable (receipe & p/f) at petsmart was the blue buffalo wilderness salmon and rice, and it had 34/15 with a price tag of $68 for 24 lb bag.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
He's been doing really well on blue buffalo salmon and rice, which has stopped the itchy paws and ears. Root of the problem was either chicken or gain, so we're trying to avoid both as much as possible. He'll be going to the trainer soon, and I was afraid the blue buffalo wouldn't have enough protein/fat. The pro plan has a little more protein/fat 26/16. The only other thing i found comparable (receipe & p/f) at petsmart was the blue buffalo wilderness salmon and rice, and it had 34/15 with a price tag of $68 for 24 lb bag.
Blue Buffalo great for older dogs b/c low protein and holistic content. Started my 10yo on BB at 17%. Great but no good if you are running in tests and trials! PPP really great food!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts