RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been a Springer owner and having trained my own dogs I am curious what the differences are you have experienced when training say a Spaniel compared to a Lab or a Retriever? They all need to know how to do the same thing in the end for birds? I ask because I have been turned down by some trainers because they didnt know the breed and were not sure they could get it done - one told me he didnt train pointers??

I mean other than the superior intelligence of a Springer what are the real differences you see whan you train them. :p

Brian

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I can set a test up for labs non-slip retrievers and run a trailer full of dogs by the time I put birds out and ran a couple springers. Lot less leg work.Jim

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
No difference in training them. I've done springers, boykins and cockers and I've trained them like a lab. I can teach them to quarter without live birds but it sure would be nice to have a game farm close by like I did in PA so I can run them in the field with live birds. The game farm would set the birds out for me for every dog we were running so no extra leg work for me really.

They ff and collared just like a lab though the cockers and springers weren't as watery as the boykins.

Angie

·
Registered
952 Posts
My American Water Spaniels are all trained as non-slip retrievers (first, and then we do upland training.....which doesn't take much). In an hunt test situation, they can perform as well as any hunt test Lab. I'm not sure about Springers, but the Spaniels I've dealt with are very intelligent and therefore don't take as much pressure as a Lab. Most get bored with drill after drill after drill. Other than that, we use the same training methods as any other retriever. I have the only Spaniel in the group I train with.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Different breeds learn at different paces and with varying needs for repetition and boundaries.

Aside from the superior intelligence of a Labrador or Toller as compared to a Spaniel, the only difference for me is that pointer training set ups take a lot more time and more equipment than the superior retriever breeds. ;-)

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts