RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on execsive noise and control issues with dogs in field trial and hunt test in the master and AA level. Do you let them trough? or stop it right after the first series?

Chris

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
3 black dogs said:
What are your thoughts on execsive noise and control issues with dogs in field trial and hunt test in the master and AA level. Do you let them trough? or stop it right after the first series?

Chris[/quote

For me both are noted and might effect callbacks and placements.
Noise is dependent upon how much, how often and how obnoxious.
Control is the same if you are talking about line manners ie. heeling to the line, creeping.... Control issues on blinds is a more serious matter, since that is what blinds are about.

Tim

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your responce with the control issues we can use heeling to the line as a control issue handler steps out of the holding blind and is telling the dog to heel all the way to the line loudly. dog generaly beats the handler to the line.
Chris

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Insofar as HT scoring (and I'm not Master qualified), I wouldn't think that this would knock you out of a first series. I'd probably score you low on trainability, but certainly not zero you. If he's manageable the rest of the test, you're okay, but if excessive vocalization or poor manners are consistent, you will not have the average you need for a qualifying score.

If you pick up all the chickens through three series and don't get a ribbon, that's most likely your problem. If this happens and you're not sure, approach the judges to review your scoresheet.

Hopefully a Master judge will respond.

Mark

_

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Excessive noise is a serious fault. Dependent on the amount, prolonged continous whining/barking on the line, in the blind or during the running of the test will result in a zero at the master level. Coupled with lack of control and the dog will likely not see the second series.

T. Mac

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
We were just talking about this at the FT today. And the general consensus was that HT judges care about it more than FT judges.

The FT judges care almost entirely about what goes on in the field, and have the understanding that if a dog is misbehaving (noise and steadiness) at the line it will effect its performance in the field.

The HT judges think the line (in the practical world -- a duck blind) is a part of the field and should be scored as such.

I think they are both right. Therefore I think the games will continue down the same paths they are already heading with the issue.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
I don't like to see it, but would only note it in my book and slight lowering on trainability. I don't see any point in throwing dogs out for this because if they don't have control at their side they will typically either break (making my decision easy) or go completly out of control on the blinds or marks. I say give them enough oppertunities to throw themselves into a ribbon or throw themselves out.

/Paul

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
3 black dogs said:

Chris
Field Trial Rules & Standard Procedure for Retrievers - Classification of Faults - SERIOUS fAULTS - Loud & prolonged whining or barking, MODERATE FAULTS - Moderate whining of short duration, MINOR FAULTS - Slight short whining or one bark, on being sent to retrieve.

When it happens while birds are in the air it is generally considered more serious than when all birds are on the ground. It is generally a lack of training issue, as many dogs with the desire to get a bird will let you know they are ready to go.

To give a pass on this fault while other dogs do not have the fault is a lack of fairness issue on the part of the judge. It should be noted & dealt with appropriately.

Marvin S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts