RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Gunz Up CD. If you have used it, I would be interested in knowing how. I would like to use it to desensitize a dog to the sounds of a field trial/hunt test. I can already see that I can vary a) duration or b) loudness.

What have you done?
How successful were you?
Didyou use it in another way?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Crank it up. I try to use it as a distraction or to get them fired up to teach them to work through it. You have to follow the rules no matter whats going on. It's just an exposure thing.

·
Administrator
3,872 Posts
I would have it playing on a boom box behind a holding blind which was placed off to the side but between the "last" holding blind the dog & handler were in and the line. I used this on training days when clients would come over to train as a group.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PocketLab and Vicky Trainor

Thank you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got it this week. Played it in the truck on the way to train, played it while setting up and then left the door open and let the Bose speakers loose while training.

First couple of days he really amped up, yesterday he was already ignoring it.

I think it works!

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I've been using it consistently for a couple years. I regard it as a very useful tool, and just as important as involving all the other triggers common to the testing environment. We are scrupulous about using holding blinds, gunfire, calling numbers, "guns-up", and as many other test-like aspects into our training as possible. I think it's wise to use those things as preventative maintenance for at least a degree of test-wise-ness.:D

Evan

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Evan, do you play it in the car, at the blind, at hime?

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Evan, do you play it in the car, at the blind, at hime?
I have a portable karaoke machine that sits outside the car near the line we run from in each set up, and plays continuously. If it's raining or snowing I play it on the car's CD player.

Evan

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
The noise is coming from the GunzUp cd which is at the line. I do two other things:
I shoot blank pistol while dogs are still in box and I'm out setting up.
I attach a two way radio to the dog box on my truck. When I am out setting up I talk to the dogs with my other two way radio by saying hunt test things.

I learned these from Dennis Voigt's dvd, Training Alone.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to thank everyone who has posted. These are good ideas.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a portable karaoke machine that sits outside the car near the line we run from in each set up, and plays continuously. If it's raining or snowing I play it on the car's CD player.

Evan
What else do you use the karaoke machine for? I have a mental picture of someone busting out a disco tune while I'm on the line.

Major distraction regards...

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Evan, If it's raining or snowing? I stay inside. LOL

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I got it to use as a portable sound system at seminars I give around the country. Often we're a long way from an buildings, so I plug my power inverter into a lighter, and power up my machine. Works well!

Evan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts