RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the very first step in Collar conditioning. Tried to explain to a buddy but he is saying something different.

·
Registered
234 Posts
depends on how you look at it...I say it's when you actually put the dummy collar on the dog.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I collar conditioned to "here" first...... but technically, I agree with the above responders....

·
Registered
340 Posts
Doesn't the first step involve years of desensitizing one's spouse regarding the expense of hunting/dog training gear?

After a few years of buying new guns, a boat, decoys, new camo, new waders and acceptance of the cost of a well bred critter, he/she should be properely conditioned to the cost of a top-of-the-line e-collar.

IMHO, without the years of build up and a slow desensitizing process, you're hosed!

Just say'n. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
It is different for different people. Pointing dog trainers teach "kennel" first, at least the Hickox method, retriever people generally do "Here" first.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Tell us your explanation and we will tell you if you are correct. I'd say that if you had to explain it, then your explanation wasn't as simple as "put on a dummy collar", "condition to here first" or "teach the commands to be conditioned to".

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
It is different for different people. Pointing dog trainers teach "kennel" first, at least the Hickox method, retriever kennels generally do "Here" first.
Don't know what retriever kennels you refer to but Lardy & Hillman both generally condition to sit first.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My response is getting pup used to collar in off mode.
His was find the dogs level of stimulation.
Im not asking what command you condition to first.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Getting use to the collar first. Dogs are situational learners. Throw the collar on and try to find the correct level of stimulation - what was the most recent change?? Gee I wonder if that pinch correlates to that new collar?? Fastest way to get a collar wise dog.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Like anything else there are two schools of thought. Ken was correct, decide first on Lardy or Graham.

Lardy says wear the collar (off) for a period before starting ecollar conditioning.

Evan Graham says the opposite about having to wear the ecollar (off) for a while before using.

Which is correct? Pick your training program.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
My response is getting pup used to collar in off mode.
His was find the dogs level of stimulation.
Im not asking what command you condition to first.
Well, FWIW, you are correct based on the program(s) I follow. Lardy has the ecollar on the dog for a while before turning it on. Hillman, which I'm just starting to familiarize myself with, has the collar on the dog for at least one session before turningit on. Then he doesn't find out the dog's level of stimulation but rather starts on the lowest setting. And through the days that I've watched, leaves it there.

But if your friend is following a different program that does it differently, thats what he should stick with.

EDIT*** Just started thinking about the Lardy CC... When Lardy has the eCollar on the dog early on, it is well before and not really a part of his actual CC corect?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.