RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a rubber bumper during the FF process. When I throw a fun bumper. My dog hesitantly picks up a rubber bumper, but enthusiastically picks up a canvas bumper.

First, is this typical?

Second, any thoughts with sticking to only one type of bumper during the FF process verus using several types?

To provide a bit of background information. I am not extremely experienced, but this not my first FF process. I am about two weeks into FF. My dog is about eight months old. I am following a reputable program.

Thank you,
Kendall

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Generally, I think fun bumpers are over used. Think about what you're doing. Think about what you intend a fun bumper to do, and then think about what it may be doing; the unintended consequences of it. Often, during FF, a fun bumper will work directly against your objectives, which sounds very much like what it's doing now.

Sometimes in other training, your dog may have just worked very hard to sort out some concept or other, and finally succeeded, only to have the over-joyed trainer throw a fun bumper (or 2 or 3!) - effectively wiping out the memory of his having solved a really important training issue, and just putting him up thinking only of the recess bell he just answered.

Use good judgment about them.

Evan

·
Registered
834 Posts
Evan makes a good point.

You may also think about what you said and figure it out yourself.

"I have been using a rubber bumper during the FF process. When I throw a fun bumper. My dog hesitantly picks up a rubber bumper, but enthusiastically picks up a canvas bumper."

The force fetch should be done with an object "other than a bumper" until most of the pressure phase is over. Old schoolers used a wooden dowel, I see many like to use a paint roller today. The point is the dog will focus his resentment on the dowel and not the bumper.

After the dog is proficient with the dowel ( heeling with it, fetching from the ground, etc.etc.) then move to other objects, full cans of soup, beer bottles, ball peen hammer. When this is finished he will pick up and hold anything and have NO RESENTMENT of any training dummies,bumpers,rubber ducks, live birds, etc.etc.

I'm sure there will be some, maybe even many that disagree with me. I did not dream this up myself. It was pasted on to me in the early 80's from field trialers that were doing it for decades before that time.

I will say this. My dogs had many problems over the years but, fetch, hold, and deliver to hand was not one of them.

Hope this helps, Just my opinion and what has worked for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bumper 52, Evan and Rnd,

First, I appreciate the helpful replies.

Second, what all of you are saying makes sense. It just happens to be different than the video I am using.

It seems like this in another case of reading the dog and what you have relayed is applicable to the situation I am experiencing.

Again, thank you for the helpful replies.

Kendall

·
Registered
87 Posts
Generally, I think fun bumpers are over used. Think about what you're doing. Think about what you intend a fun bumper to do, and then think about what it may be doing; the unintended consequences of it. Often, during FF, a fun bumper will work directly against your objectives, which sounds very much like what it's doing now.

Sometimes in other training, your dog may have just worked very hard to sort out some concept or other, and finally succeeded, only to have the over-joyed trainer throw a fun bumper (or 2 or 3!) - effectively wiping out the memory of his having solved a really important training issue, and just putting him up thinking only of the recess bell he just answered.

Use good judgment about them.

Evan
Great point. After reading this and thinking on it, I have been guilty of this and I will make a point to definatly be more selective about the use of fun bumpers from here on out.

Thanks Evan!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts