RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I eagerly wait the arrival of my new golden puppy in October, I am thinking about teaching my 5 year old Australian Shepherd some field basics, including collar conditioning. She has advanced obedience titles and is crazy about retrieving. She understands marking, at least in the context of the Utility Directed Retrieve exercise. Has anyone else trained non-retrievers in field work? Can you advise me on what to expect and what to look out for? Are there any venues where non-retrievers can compete in field-like events?

My golden puppy is primarily from competition obedience lines, but his grandfather is Mr. Speaker from Lorie Jolly. Are there many people participating in this forum who have dogs from competition obedience lines? How do they differ from dogs that are primarily from field lines?

I am really enjoying reading old threads. I tried to search for threads about training non-retrievers and I could not find any. If you know of some old threads about this topic, could you post links to them? I don't know what to search for exactly. I found an older thread on Golden Retriever studs that is one of the most interesting things I've ever read.

Thank you!
Robin

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took my Border Collie and my Australian Shepherd out this afternoon to see if they would retrieve bumpers. They retrieved them perfectly as far as I could throw them and delivered to hand like champions. I recruited a neighbor boy to throw them for me so that they would be longer and they did great with that too. Watch out retrievers!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
As I eagerly wait the arrival of my new golden puppy in October, I am thinking about teaching my 5 year old Australian Shepherd some field basics, including collar conditioning. She has advanced obedience titles and is crazy about retrieving. She understands marking, at least in the context of the Utility Directed Retrieve exercise. Has anyone else trained non-retrievers in field work? Can you advise me on what to expect and what to look out for? Are there any venues where non-retrievers can compete in field-like events?

My golden puppy is primarily from competition obedience lines, but his grandfather is Mr. Speaker from Lorie Jolly. Are there many people participating in this forum who have dogs from competition obedience lines? How do they differ from dogs that are primarily from field lines?

I am really enjoying reading old threads. I tried to search for threads about training non-retrievers and I could not find any. If you know of some old threads about this topic, could you post links to them? I don't know what to search for exactly. I found an older thread on Golden Retriever studs that is one of the most interesting things I've ever read.

Thank you!
Robin
In Goldens, the breeding is quite often the same. You mention Speaker. Connie Cleveland and Janice Gunn also come to mind.

Pals, on this forum has a Jack Russell that she claims is a retrieving terror. Gotta watch them with cripples though. Grrr, shake, shake, shake. :razz:

JS

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My pittie mix was my "set up" dog for years. She loved to retrieve and could swim like a fish. You could certainly train your herding dogs to do basic field work, although I am not certain about retrieving birds. I guess you could try them with a bird to see if they will accept it.

As stated above, the field/obedience lines are pretty much the same and many people who do field work, also title their dogs in obedience (and also agility and tracking).

Dawn

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I trained a Boxer/Lab. mix one summer that was awesome.
Get them crazy about retrieving which your dogs are already just transfer to birds(dead) not gross though.
Good Luck and have fun.
Sue

·
Registered
405 Posts
Granted she is a retriever mix (we think lab/ border collie mix), my rescue girl Jordyn has a very strong herding instinct and very small retrieving instinct. She will chase toys/bumpers but birds are the only things she'll retrieve routinely. I didn't do any specific field work with her, but bring her out occasionally to pick up a few. If it makes them happy... ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Marking and Memory

Besides marking ability, retrievers were bred to remember multiple falls. Other non-hunting breeds, no matter how retrieve driven, tend to fail in that area.

Years ago at an agility seminar, a dog behaviorist gave a lecture on the characteristics of the various breeds and we even tried our own "demo" later that day.

A bumper was tossed a bumper out on mowed grass, the handler did an about turn with a golden (untrained in field work) and another with a border collie. The golden lined out to it and the collie took a line out about 20 degrees off.

Debbie Tandoc

·
Registered
433 Posts
My Aussie is FF'd and has tons of retrieving drive, but the pup can't mark to save his life. He does take nice lines for the glove exercise in Utility, but it's a directed retrieve and it's short. I bought a Lab pup because I missed throwing marks for a dog that could actually mark where the bird went down...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts