RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!! I know this is not a dog-related question, but I couldn't think of a better group to ask this question to as I know there are some vets in our midst.

Just a quick question for all the veterinarians out there.

For my upcoming school year I am going through a round of pre-exposure immunizations for rabies, with injections at days 0, 7, and 21. I'm getting RabAvert. Once I am done those I have to have a serum titre done and the rabies neutralising antibody titre must be equal to or greater than 0.5 IU/ml.

So my question is, how long do I wait between the last injection and when I head off to the lab to get my blood drawn? I don't want to go too early and risk not having a high enough antibody level, but the school needs the results as soon as possible to process me and get me fully accepted into my program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as neither my doctor nor the school seem to be able to give me an answer!

Erica

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
What kind of school are you going to?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rabies Vax

It takes two weeks to get an adequate immunological responce after the first exposure. Future exposures are much quicker because of immunologic memory. It should be at the highest titer 7 days after the last shot. However, when I went through the series we did not recheck titers until 2 years after my initial series to see if I need boostered. I get it checked every year or two to see if I have adequate blood titers.

That is how my vaccination series was handled. I am not sure if this is the same way with yours but I hope it helped

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much! Apparently it is unusual for a school to require a titre done immediately after exposure, but I guess the school is just being extra careful... So 7 days it is!

MRGD: I'm starting a 2 year veterinary technician program. I have a degree in neuroscience, and I want to do neurological work with animals, so this will help me out in that area!

Erica

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Thanks Erica. You just said school, so I didn't know if maybe you were in some remote region with biting children! :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
dreamer2385 said:
Just wondering?? do you have to pay for this yourself? If so, how much? I often wondered how this works?? Maria
If you are talking about the vaccine, my answer would be IT DEPENDS! :)

When I first got the vaccines, I was working full time as a Vet Tech and my employer picked up the tab. (That is the norm for animal hospitals around my area. Cost is about $150.00.)

I had a titre done a couple of months ago through my county's health department. It cost me $8.00.

Interesting to me is that I had the vaccines done about 18 years ago with a booster 2 years later. Since then, I've had the titre done. Here it is 16 years later and I still have a high titre! :) My friend who also had the vaccines but only about 10 years ago, had a titre done at the same time as I did (Remember the incident when our horses killed a raccoon in the middle of the day??). She was required to get a booster as her titre fell well below the "acceptable" range. Cost her $150.00 for the booster.

Vicky

Vicky

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dreamer2385 said:
Just wondering?? do you have to pay for this yourself? If so, how much? I often wondered how this works?? Maria
yeah, unfortunately I have to pay for it myself, and I got a pretty good deal at $650 Canadian. Some schools will cover it, but mine didn't.

MRGD said:
Thanks Erica. You just said school, so I didn't know if maybe you were in some remote region with biting children!
hehehe no, no crazy kids, just crazy animals! Though I think I would rather take my chances with animals over the kids any day.

From what I've been told, after this titre I should have one done every 2 years to ensure my levels are high enough, and then if they ever fall below I just get a booster shot and have my titre taken again!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Another interesting thing I learned about the vaccine is that your health insurance does not cover it should you require it!

My friend had a kitten that was diagnosed with rabies (after the vet 'forgot' to vaccinate it when it went in for a checkup and all of its shots). All four members of her family, and all four members of her sister's family had to go throught th series.

Cost $200 a person, which was not covered by Blue Cross/CareFirst. Ugh.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I asked my doctor about that and he said I would be hard pressed to find ANY insurance company that would cover it here in Canada.

Oh well, its $650 well spent if I ever do get exposed, I wouldn't want to take my chances!

Erica

·
Registered
606 Posts
I guess it pays to have the vaccinations done. I hope that i never have to get the shots.. I take in feral cats, and was wondering .. I have mine vaccinated. I am careful with the ferals and have never gotten bitten. I resolve to stop doing this cause one of these days i am going to push my luck.. My hubby had an encounter with a fox, and the insurance paid for it. i am told that it would have cost 1,500 for the shots if we were not insured. Doesnt seem right.. i am always telling my kids NOT to play with the neighborhood animals as NO ONE vaccinates for rabies. We have tons of cats around, and dogs. I try to go on my soapbox and stress the importance of AT LEAST a rabies shot!!!! One of my neighbor's cats just died after an incident with a opposum.. I tried to tell her to watch the cats. They have tons of unvaccinated kittens right now.. i dont think they should have any animals. i would love to call animal control and have them just do a check for vaccines with the back roads of my home. It scares me. We have tons of fox, coyotes, raccoons etc. my hubby traps.. , so in trapping season we get rid of some of them. i will get off my soapbox now. Any comments????? Maria

·
Registered
844 Posts
dreamer2385 said:
One of my neighbor's cats just died after an incident with a opposum.. Maria
An opossum is a marsupial, and they do not carry rabies.

My friend's cat was not feral - they had adopted it and it was supposed to have been vaccinated.

Our county is strict to the point that if you have not had contact, but were around the animal in question, you get to have the shots.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You can get them at our heath dept for free here in South Carolina.
However, knowing some of the people here, if it wasn't free they probably would take their chances :twisted:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts