RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 7 year old Toller had his 3 year rabies vaccination 7/3. On 7/11 I felt a lump at the vaccination site. He was vaccinated in the right flank, not the hip muscle. I saw my regular vet yesterday and he too is concerned about a reaction to the vaccine. Advised to watch for 3-4 weeks. I am thinking removal of the lump would best be sooner rather than later. The lump is solid.

Is it possible for fibrosarcoma to develop in 8 days?
How common is fibrosarcoma in dogs?

I would love to hear any advice or experience of others.

I had a cat die from rabies vaccine fibrosarcoma so I am extremely concerned.

Thank you.

Mary

"Blitzen" HRCH Skylark's RePete Adventure MH AX AXJ OF CD BN RN
"Quest" Believe's Rev N Up For Adventure
"Dasher" Skylark's Southern Expedition
"Meter" All American

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
The lump is common with the RS shot. My terrier develeped a lump both times for her initial and booster. The 2nd time it abscessed and got really nasty. Cleared up fine- no issues with subsequent vaccines. I would not take the lump off- rather give it time and it will go down on its own.
My labs have had a lump reaction too(not all of them and not every time), always went away on its own.
Just reread your post- that it was a rabies vacc- sorry I thought Rattlesnake-. I've also seen a lump from rabies vacc. on dogs ,too and ,like the other,it has always gone down on its own.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Maryde,

One of my dogs had a lump about the size of a marble at a vaccination site. I don't remember which type of vaccine it was, but it went away with no issues. I hope this helps to put your mind at ease.

Swack

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
A lot of vaccines will cause this reaction, sometimes it takes up to a week to present, massage will usually loosen it up and it will dissolve, that's if you can reach it, to work it. If it's on the flank and you can rub in against the ribs, that usually works pretty well. Sometimes the injection site doesn't allow you access, and the lump won't dissolve readily. If it remains hard it might need to be lanced and drained, sometimes they need to be removed.

The worst one I ever had the injection was in the scruff, the whole neck swelled up, with a big lump on the back of the neck, terrible, got it down to a hard lump with massage, but eventually had to take her in and get it lanced, lasted ~ a month. They're usually the result of an allergy or a poor injection, needless to say none of my dogs will ever get a vaccine in the scruff again, way too hard to work out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts