RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this today, many of you probably have as well.​
Before I make any comment, I'd like to know how many are aware of the "issue".

Retriever Advisory Committee (RAC)

May 12, 2022

For some eighty years, the two National Championship Clubs have had the respect and focus of the entire Retriever Field Trial Community during their respective National Championship event weeks. For many decades, during the periods of the two National Championships, the entire sport provided a singular focus and dedication to their running.

The National All-Age Championships require a large resource of people and other support to be properly displayed and executed. The events move from time zone to time zone – yearly – with competitors alternating traveling and hosting in a time-honored tradition. This shifts the immense honor and obligation of hosting the National Championship Stakes to different parts of the country. This being the only All-Age activity during those periods has provided for people from their respective regions and time zones to dedicate themselves with the task of providing the entire sport with the highest quality events possible. It also allowed the people around the country the opportunity to stay intellectually and competitively invested in following the showcase events of the finest our sport has to offer, signified by the incredible amount of attention the Retriever News Blog receives. The solemnity and sanctity of these events have played no small part in building the pride and greatness we all have come to respect and enjoy.

The last two years, two clubs have applied to the AKC for field trial dates opposite the two National Championships event weeks (one each).

An important aspect of these two new clubs seeking event dates that conflict with the National Championship weeks, is the possibility of a soft competitive underbelly that would be created if a few clubs were to be allowed to host events in conflict with the two Nationals. There would also be organizational issues for those clubs and the host regions during their geographic proximity each four years.

We would propose that a standing rule be written to prohibit clubs from holding field trials awarding championship points during the time periods occupied by the two National All-Age championships. Naturally, the two National All-Age clubs endorse this potential restriction, along with the Professional Retriever Trainers Association and the Retriever Advisory Committee.

We would like to know if your club would endorse this as a proposed AKC rule also. Let’s ensure the competitive integrity that our sport has always enjoyed and been proud of since inception. Excellence never stands in the shadows.

Please respond “yes” or “no” on behalf of your club prior to June 10th, so that we may have a sense of support prior to the RAC meeting to be held in June at the National Amateur Retriever Club Championship.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

John Russell, RAC Chairperson

·
Registered
769 Posts
I haven't seen that yet but it's interesting. I would tend to lean towards tradition and keep no trials that week. How long is the "no trial" period? Just during the dates of the National event? or any dates prior or after?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Why/how would that affect the integrity? Give me a break.

If you truly are concerned about the integrity then make sure the standard/rule book is upheld to the highest degree, weekly but most importantly during your special 2 weeks of National events.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long is the "no trial" period? Just during the dates of the National event?
Yes
Why/how would that affect the integrity?
I find John Russell's letter to be very well worded. A word he did not use is "integrity", why did you?

One of the clubs mentioned is not far from me. The intent of the club members is not hard to figure out. It is clear to the RAC , the PRTA, most serious field trial people in the area and both national clubs (which will not recognize points from the trial).

If you truly are concerned about the integrity then make sure the standard/rule book is upheld to the highest degree, weekly but most importantly during your special 2 weeks of National events.
Upholding the standard would be the purpose of the proposed rule.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yes

I find John Russell's letter to be very well worded. A word he did not use is "integrity", why did you?

One of the clubs mentioned is not far from me. The intent of the club members is not hard to figure out. It is clear to the RAC , the PRTA, most serious field trial people in the area and both national clubs (which will not recognize points from the trial).

Oh?

Let’s ensure the competitive integrity that our sport has always enjoyed and been proud of since inception. Excellence never stands in the shadows.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yes

And what would the clubs "intent" be?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The fact that they are not competitive at any event not judged by their buddies is one indicator.
So you are saying that the clubs who want to host events during the Nationals would ask their buddies to judge the AA stakes so that they could win.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The dogs owned by those club members would still have to beat 40, 50, 60 other AA dogs. If they are suspect to begin with I don't think there is much to worry about. From the point of view of "underserving" I wouldn't be to concerned.

I mentioned it earlier, if he is that concerned about integrity do something now at each weekend event along with Nationals moving forward with regards to the Standard/Rulebook that is in place now.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dogs owned by those club members would still have to beat 40, 50, 60 other AA dogs.
No, they would not.

I mentioned it earlier, if he is that concerned about integrity do something now at each weekend event along with Nationals moving forward with regards to the Standard/Rulebook that is in place now.
It's "they" not "he" and there are many of them.
What would you suggest they do at each event?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dumb question, but couldn't the weekend before or after a national event also have less competition because the dogs are pre-training at the national or coming home from the national?
The weekend before has some serious competition with many people are pursuing their last chance at qualification.
There has always been plenty of competition the week after a national

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The weekend before has some serious competition with many people are pursuing their last chance at qualification.
There has always been plenty of competition the week after a national
And there would be plenty during a National. Keep in mind the majority of FT'ers are NOT at the National on those given weeks. The majority are sitting home.

·
Registered
777 Posts
And there would be plenty during a National. Keep in mind the majority of FT'ers are NOT at the National on those given weeks. The majority are sitting home.
Keep in mind the majority of dogs that had win{s} and 7+ points the previous year ARE at the National on those given weeks.
You are fooling yourself to pretend think the field wouldn't be watered down

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Keep in mind the majority of dogs that had win{s} and 7+ points the previous year ARE at the National on those given weeks.
You are fooling yourself to pretend think the field wouldn't be watered down
There would still be 40, 50, 60 dogs entered I'll bet. I think you would be fooling yourself to think it wouldn't be competitive.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There would still be 40, 50, 60 dogs entered I'll bet. I think you would be fooling yourself to think it wouldn't be competitive.
Competitive? Maybe at a level comparable to a Golden or Peak specialty?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Competitive? Maybe at a level comparable to a Golden or Peak specialty?
Or possibly a 15-20 dog AA stake in Alaska. Yet all of them award Championship points. So where is the issue then when it comes to having a FT run up against the National.

Reactions: Daren Galloway
1 - 20 of 24 Posts